34 Replies Latest reply on 13-Jul-2018 8:24 AM by sharmasu

Module Two: Discussion Thread

teachontario.team

Reflect on your classroom this year. Which standards do you feel you empowered most? Which standards would you like to improve on? Why? How? What could be changed? Post your thoughts in the thread below.

• Re: Module Two: Discussion Thread
          james98

I spent a lot of time in this year focusing on teaching my students citizenship on line. We had many cases of cyber bullying which lead to a lot of discussion amongst our staff on how to educate students on what it means to be good citizens online. In the past I have used online programs like Hectors World and even Google's citizenship program to teach students about citizenship online. I have been a huge advocate for students to have equal access to technology in our school. We have to think about the various needs of our students. We have so many students who find it challenging to write with paper and pencil. Using a computer with voice to text software or the use of word processing has helped a number of students to share their voices.  I do think that more time needs to be spent looking at how technology is used in our school. What is effective and what is not.

There needs to be more time for teachers to collaborate and share best practices. I also feel that it would be great to learn new strategies to help meet the individual needs of students. Student engagement is the key.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            annette3003

The skill to self-regulate is an important component of children’s development. Many students in our class did not have the ability to self regulate. Myself and my partner introduced S.N.A.P. which stands for Stop Now And Plan. This is a program that provided us with a plan for teaching our students that are struggling with behaviour issues, and their parents, effective emotional regulation, self-control and problem-solving skills. S.N.A.P. helped our students to deal with stressors and then recover. We noticed with our students that when they are focused and alert that are at their best to regulate their emotions, to pay attention, ignore distractions and suppress impulses. We agreed that the students should pick the consequences for their actions, and this program helped them to understand what other people are thinking and feeling.

yolantak

Great point Annette! This year we did a school-wide approach of Social Emotional Learning. We focused on teaching strategies to students about how to self-regulate. You are right about how we need to teach students to self-regulate first because I noticed how many students in my class really struggle and cannot learn until their social emotional needs are met. Love your S.N.A.P strategy!

mattlet2002

I think students have become more empowered in their learning.  They want a greater voice in what they learn or at least have opportunities to explore their own learning and interests.  Two areas that I think students need more opportunities to develop are digital citizenship and communication.  They need to learn about being responsible for how they use technology.  I just finished a course where there was a lot of discussion about citing work and images and how technology means we need to address these things much earlier in education.  The wealth of options in technology and coding also means that our students need to learn how to use technology and coding to enhance the communication of their learning and understanding.  The availability of colours and fonts, along with drop down menus in Scratch can distract from the learning and understanding.

If the opportunity arises, I may need to show the video by Linda Liukas at a staff meeting.  The one struggle I have with teaching coding is convincing others about the doors it opens to students.

I feel like I empowered the Digital Citizen most this year. That seems natural given the number and variety of interactions students will have in the digital space. Just like they have needed time to negotiate their face-to-face interactions, they continue to negotiate how they will socialize, learn and play in the digital environment. What strikes me about the other standards is that for innovation, creativity, design and empowerment, students need to be given choice. My students worked well using the tools and applications that I provided. But, how innovative can they be if I make the choices? I need to reconsider how I balance bringing students an awareness to technological tools and applications that are available with giving them ownership to choose how to best achieve their desired results.

lauradeeves

I think I probably worked the most on helping my students to be computational thinkers and creative communicators.

Computational thinkers: My students were challenged often to solve problems in a variety of ways. Sometimes, they struggled, but giving up wasn't an option.  Whether they were using pen and paper, or technology, they came up with ways to solve problems; they also had to prove their thinking using whatever method they chose (interview, written, mapping...).  They learned that technology is no longer something that is just used for games, or publishing.

Creative Communicators: I think back to the beginning of the year when I introduced my students to SWAY, as a presentation option.  They complained, and said it was too hard.  By the end of the year, they would whip up a quick SWAY presentation for a variety of presentations.  But that's not all they used.  They coded their favourite scenes from novels on Scratch.  They created beginning/middle/end summaries with *Lego.  They studied and then created a digital heritage Westport.  Because I had a very small group this year, communication was huge.  I was always encouraging my students to explain their thinking; to develop more detailed descriptions; to look for the "story" behind an event.  They were encouraged to be confident in what they were presenting, no matter what it was, being proud of what they have done.

donnad

Not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I keep going off on tangents (albeit related tangents) following links and shared resources, that I may never get through all five modules.

I love some of the activities from the Edugains site, both with tech activities and without tech. I think there is real value in using the without tech activities, not just in case the board wide system is down, but also to show how clear, concise messaging is important, even in the Real World. That's an area for improvement with all of my students regardless of academic ability.

Some of those activities would be great for a student vs staff event, or student vs parent night.

http://www.edugains.ca/resourcesTELO/CE/CodingInterface/interface.html

donnad

More by accident, than by design, I think I empowered my last years' kids to actively become Creative Communicators and Global Collaborators. Through various online links/resources I found stuff that really resonated with me as a professional and as a person. I found sources such as Hour to Code and Scratch, A Kids Guide to Canada, Exploring By the Seat of Your Pants,...

Through these sites and connections, we (I enlisted my students to help me pursue these opportunities) were able to experience things that we just couldn't have otherwise in a small rural school. I needed their expertise as  'tech' experts more than they need me as a 'teach' expert!

It's just such a beautiful thing to see those kids that traditionally struggle, come to the fore front and rescue their teacher, and support their peers.

donnad

Is anyone else having a problem viewing the Linda Liukas’ TED Talk video? I've tried viewing a few times and it keeps cutting out or spooling, or whatever you call it. I have tried different times, different browsers, and let it 'play' through when muted hoping when I replayed it, it would be continuous. Any suggestions?

I think the standard that speaks to me the most is "Empowering". To be able to set personal goals and develop strategies leveraging technology develops "Resiliency". Resiliency to me and the strategies that help build resiliency are what will help students to improve their learning and move on....Developing these strategies transforms students. ...

Students articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes.

With my team teacher this year (Sandra), I feel we have provided the activities to develop their skills as a 'Global Collaborator' in the classroom.  One example is when students had work with the Truth and Reconciliation Act, which is a document that informs Canadians about what happened in residential schools.  Not only was it an eye opener for many students regarding the content, but they had to work in teams to collaborate electronically to complete the work. Must admit, Sandra was the drive behind it!

As other people mentioned, I think most students need to grow as a Digital Citizen. We too end up dealing with bullying on line by students, refer students to our Student Support Worker when something has been posted and it shouldn't have been (images) and make phone calls to parents regarding cyber bullying. The biggest hurdle is that students don't see their part, but only what happened/ was sent to them. A goal in my classroom is to expose students to the idea that it is necessary "... they act and model in ways that are safe, legal and ethical."

jagilchrist

I feel that I empowered digital citizenship for sure. We spent a lot of time discussing this in class as well as taking a look at examples. I also think that I empowered Creative Communicator in that my students were always encouraged to choose how they showed their learning - many chose to use videos or slide presentations. I hope that I worked on Knowledge Constructor when my students investigated how they could impact the world, investigated how they could do this, chose a charity and then ran the school wide fundraiser. This definitely let them "build knowledge by actively exploring real world issues problems" and finding solutions (3d). I would like to improve upon Knowledge Constructor as I saw the interest, questioning and collaboration really developing amongst the students when they were working on a more inquiry based project. I feel that it is so important for the students to constantly be questioning and problem solving. I would like to get more technology involved in this. I would also like to focus in on Empowered Learner more as when the students are choosing their learning goals and how they are achieved they are simply more engaged and learning much more beyond the curriculum content. My husband (computer scientist) and I have discussed how important the problem solving, collaboration and use of technology as a tool is for the students in their future endeavours. They must be able to drive their learning rather than just wait to be told what to do next.

christinavp

I have definitely worked from the standards of #2, 3, and 6. My Grade 6/7 students as a whole were able to meet most of these details, but I have seriously taken a step back right now and am looking at the #1. I am not so sure that my students have been 'empowered' or more like "strong-armed into doing this because I gave the assignments." If there was an area that I wish to work out better, it would be to lead them to the options and let them choose their path. Perhaps, in my defense, this cohort was extremely hard to motivate, so I led them to the learning platform and gave them limited options so that the tasks would get done. Goal 1A will be my new goal for September

I am confident that my classes are doing well as Computational Thinkers and Global Collaborators.  Work in my class requires students to work in teams, break down problems, and share/search for solutions among the world-wide community.  It's hard at first, but they recognize how far they have come in problem solving and communication by the second semester.

We struggle more with students becoming Digital Citizens and Innovative Designers.  School policies on filtering and allowed software are very rigid and difficult to change.  Students and teachers constantly are told what they can't use and need to find new methods or give up. It's hard to be an effective citizen and designer if your choices are taken away.  Safety and security are the reasons given for this, but it's hard to understand why things like archives.org need to be blocked entirely, or pages like  https://bakerfranke.github.io/codePrint/ have to be whitelisted for a brief time and them removed as soon as they are no longer used daily.

afmcdnl

During my time at alternative schools - it is all about an empowered learner - they pick the course and topics on what they are going to learn based on the mentors coming into classes.  This would awesome fit into the creative communicator if the Ss can share what they learnt in a meaningful way - parents see that during expo nights and also the students have something to be proud of - or is it doesn't work then it is something they can look at and say "Ok that didn't work. but how can I improve for next time"

This year I focused on collaboration through computational thinking and problem solving. This are important aspect of our learners growth and development especially given the career aspirations of many students. By incorporating a wide range of tasks and activities through STEM, robotics and coding, students owned their learning.  They collaborated with each other to identify real world applications and connections to solve problems. For example, we paired up with the learning partnership where students created innovative projects that best suited their interests and inquiry. Further to that, students reflected on their practices and acknowledged the importance of working in a cohesive environment respecting each others views and opinions.

yolantak

I feel that I touched upon all ISTE standards in one form or another, however the one that I focused the most on would be Innovative Designer. I spent the whole year focusing on the Design Thinking model within my science class for all our science units. I began introducing different models and had students create their own that they would continue to use. Then, depending on their projects, they would apply a Design Thinking process that best fit their project.

The standards that I would have liked to explore more would be Computational Thinker and Global Collaborator. I feel that I was just introducing Computational Thinking with some coding activities, but we didn't pursue it further. For example, I should have students collect data, spend more time analyzing and reflecting on problems. As mentioned in the Ted Talk, I too would like to explore how we can get students to become less consumers and more producers.

Re: Global Collaborator, students didn't seem ready for that type of action. We began local with the #onedsschat on Twitter - which to my surprise only 10% of the class enjoyed! I thought more would like it, but I think it is because this was the first time they were exposed to this 21st Century activity. I feel that I should have brought more of the Global Community into my classroom. I wanted to do more Mystery Skype's and connect with others around the world, but never got around to it .

charlandl

Like Yolanta, I think that the students touched a bit of all the ISTE standards.  To have somewhat an all around balance, I would like to dig deeper in all of them.  That is why I am taking these courses to be more knowledgeable and to learn how to connect it with our curriculum.

s_whit

So I read the student standards last week, and immediately recognized that I had not in any way truly met any of the Student standards. If I wanted to, I could probably manipulate the limited tech experiences I provided, but essentially, in the authentic richness of the intent, I did not meet any aspects of the ISTE Student Standards. I think in part, this is why I ‘disappeared’ from the module and took the weekend, to work around the house... Because I needed to digest where and why I am at with the types of technology I am using/implimenting. Entering this online experience, I knew I was doing a lot of ‘for comsumption’ technology use, but I did not really understand the effects of how I was/was not using technology in terms of what I/the students were missing out on. If anything, these standards, both Educator and Student, will help guide my practice. They motivate me to learn more, do more, be more, and that is exactly what I need(ed)... Even if I didn’t like the initial reflections, they gave a context and understanding I desperately needed. So thanks Brian for including these standards in the course.

donnad

Wow, do ever admire your honesty!!

The reason I think I have given my kids opportunities in this area, because I haven't got a bloody clue how to do it. I'm hoping they teach me   Plus I hate teaching from textbook.

Gonna have to echo Donnad's comment!

This type of honestly is so refreshing to see - sometimes our initial reactions to our own practices can be jarring and off putting. I've totally stepped back for a weekend to reevaluate things too.

It's about how we respond to these revelations and choose to grow from them. Thanks for the #mondaymotivation

1 of 1 people found this helpful

This year I spent a lot of time focussing on Mindfulness, Wellbeing and Self-Regulation as my students really needed and benefitted from it. We also worked on a lot of Inquiry based learning that was hands on. We worked on many STEM and STEAM focussed learning as well as some coding projects on Scratch Jr. We also worked a lot with loose parts. The students were able to work on developing Global competencies. Next year I want to focus more on coding practices and align it more with the overall as well as the specific expectations of the different curriculum areas. I would like to explore more easier and clear ways I can assess their work.

I'll reflect on this a bit differently as I'm out of the classroom these days but still working with students. I really like that the ISTE standards for Students explain that 'learning is a student-driven process'. I think by understanding the framework with this in mind gives a really clear indication of what our end goals as educators are - to have students empower their own learning and for educators to help guide and support them (zone of proximal development). Getting students to approach problems with computational thinking strategies has been a really big learning process for me over the past year. It's such a fantastic problem solving approach and one that I've found has many cross circular and real life applications.

I think I'd like to improve on getting students to understand being a Digital Citizen. I work a lot with Scratch and I often think the following ISTE standard is missing from my practice.

Students demonstrate an understanding of and respect for the rights and obligations of using and sharing intellectual property.

While Scratch is open source and you can REMIX other's projects on the site (see the code, copy the game, make tweaks) I often see students copying games and after slight tweaks calling it there own. It'd be beneficial for me to spend more time with students discussing copy writes laws, fair use and remixing online content.

etrotechaud

I feel that I empowered my students to become knowledge constructors.  I am constantly encouraging my students to question the world around them and seek answers where they can.  Using genius hour/passion projects in the classroom has really helped promote and engage them. There is nothing more rewarding to me than having a student ask a question, seek the answer and report back on what they uncovered.  For me, the one standard I would like to improve on is computational thinker.  Problem solving – I have a solid grasp…using technological methods to develop and test solutions, not so much.  I need to work on my comfort level with this one and how best to help my students achieve this as well.  I am comfortable with being uncomfortable, and look to my students to help me as well – they have a wealth of technological talent…and an ease that I really relish.  Becoming stronger with this standard will allow me to assist my students in reaching yet another level in their ability to solve problems.   

cmoo16

After reading the ISTE Standards for Students I struggled to find ways I applied these in my grade 1/2s. As Linda Liukas' mentioned in her TEDtalk, her early technology experiences where not solely technology related....writing stories, following patterns in knitting...for me these are like the basics. Sure the students used technology as consumers but perhaps it was the other experiences...watching as I was trouble shooting when technology did not work, building structures at recess, working cooperatively with others...these were the pre-ISTE Standards that will lead to a more stringent following of the ISTE Standards? I hope to become more comfortable with technology use in the classroom by having students design and communicate more using technology. The stumbling blocks that I see are: adequate student:technology ratios, reliable technology and differentiated apps.

sharmasu

Hello All,

Thank you for sharing  Linda Liukas TED talks. Computers are not dull and boring but creative and innovative. In my Grade 1/2 classroom it is most a knowledge constructor. We use computers and ipads as means to research.

I would like to empower my students to customize their learning environments to support their learning process. I would like to explore digital citizenship where students engage in safe, positive, ethical and legal use of digital technology. I know that students need to be taught digital competencies of 21 century but we have to start where our need is Primary classes.

I heard in the video that computers are a successful combination of language and math. I am glad that we have technology on our side. Computers are in our daily lives like we use math. We have to learn to use them appropriately.