85 Replies Latest reply on 16-Jul-2018 2:05 PM by yolantak

About You: Discussion Thread

teachontario.team

Please take a moment to tell us a little about yourself below.

• Who are you?
      • Where/what are you teaching?
      • What intrigued you to take this course?
      • What do you hope to learn?
      • How do you hope to use this learning?
      • How can we best support you?
      • What hobbies/passions do you currently enjoy?
      • What social media do you use for your PLN? (and what is your handle?)

In addition, read through the introductions of your peers and comment where you feel a connection. Let’s begin making our community now!

To see the incredible introduction discussion from the summer Makerspace Course, On the Spot and On a Dime, please click here.

• Re: About You: Discussion Thread
          lauradeeves

Hello! 

I'm Laura Deeves.  I teach grade 5/6 at St. Edward School in Westport.  My journey into Coding really took off this year as I explored with my students.  I honestly went from not knowing what a micro-bit is, to running a tech session about coding during our School Family Math night.  But, I still have lots to learn and am excited to take my learning to a new level.  I'm not planning for September just yet (first official week of summer vacation!  ), but I do plan on incorporating even more coding events into my math and language.

Looking forward to some new insights through this course.

Hello all,

I'm Colleen Leeson and I'm in Texas.  I am originally from Saskatchewan, but have lived in Houston for the past 20 years.  I teach grades 6 through 12 in elective courses for middle school robotics and engineering (mostly LEGO and other design thinking), VEX robotics for middle and high school, AP Computer Science Principles, CS Discoveries, and an intro engineering class for high school students called Engineer Your World developed by the University of Texas.  I am very lucky to be in a preK to 12 private school where I can work for early coding exposure and computational thinking with our elementary teachers.

I am always looking for more ways to incorporate coding and technology into the classroom that encourages students to be thinkers and makers rather than consumers.  I follow a number of educators and STEM interest groups from around the world through social media.  Brian Aspinall, of course, has many great ideas to share, so I thought I would join in and see what I can apply in my own classroom and school from this course.

Providing new opportunities for students to step forward and be proud of their learning and accomplishments is a passion for me.  Five years ago, none of the classes that I currently teach were available at my school.  I think I have added a new one every year with the support of the administration.  I use Facebook groups, Twitter (@ColleenLeeson), and online forums for a variety of idea sharing and professional development.

aspinabr

Hello world!

Welcome to our Code Breaker Part 2 course! My name is Brian Aspinall and I am super passionate about getting kids to code. I studied Computer Science at the U of Windsor prior to obtaining my BEd and recently my MPEd in Math Education. I have taught in the k-8 space for 12 years and currently teach AQ courses full time as well as consult for school boards across the country. Last December during Hour of Code week I published my first book also called Code Breaker.

OK, enough of the boring stuff - I have two dogs (Stevie Nicks, Sir Wellington), one cat (Tom Putty) and three chickens (Chicken Ball, Chicken Farm and Chicken Piccatta). I am so very grateful and inspired by amazing educators looking to continue their learning during the summer months! Thank you for taking this journey with me! I look forward to the next two weeks!

PS: I hope we can also connect on twitter (@mraspinall).

Brian

donnad

Happy July! Trying to survive this heat wave in Smiths Falls, Ontario. I am Donna Davie and I will be teaching a grade 4/5 class at Montague Public School in the fall. I have taught at MPS for many years.

My grade 3/4 class and I participated in the Hour of Code last fall. That was my first ‘encounter’ with coding. We loved using Scratch and Scratch Jr. This spring my board offered a Saturday workshop on Microbits, and Minecraft Education. I took 3 students with me. I was very impressed with their collaboration and problem solving skills. Although I use technology a lot in my class room, coding is something I need to learn more about, for sure. The kids are way too far ahead of me

I have three rescue cats, and am currently fostering a beautiful siamese.

• Who are you?:  My name is Mayssa and I teach gr. 7-12.
                  • Where/what are you teaching?: TVDSB
                  • What intrigued you to take this course?: I love creativity and inclusive teaching strategies.  It's always fun to learn new things and implement in the classroom.
                  • What do you hope to learn?: I have a high interest in STEM related programs and activities.  I hope I can add to my list of resources and share with colleagues
                  • How do you hope to use this learning?:  implement and share with other teachers/students
                  • How can we best support you?: by sharing new ideas, resources (especially  ones for ESL/ELD learners)
                  • What hobbies/passions do you currently enjoy?: reading, sports and walking
                  • What social media do you use for your PLN? (and what is your handle?): Twitter @mayssaels

Hello all,

Excited to virtually meet everyone! My name is Bradley Grant. I graduated from York University with my B.Ed & BA about 3 years ago. I've taught Robotics and Coding in the Toronto District School Board for about a year before landing in my current role of Distance Learning Coordinator at The Learning Partnership. Basically, I've gone from teaching kids to code to teaching teachers, in Canada's most northern school boards

I'm always looking to learn more about Coding and it's possible applications. I'm excited to learn and share best practices with everyone in this community of practice! I'm hoping to learn more ways to incorporate coding across cross-curricular subjects and really up my game over the summer!

Fun facts about me: I have a dog named Visa (Yes like the credit card), I'm a huge Leafs Fan (aka. An eternal optimist) and my favorite place to be is our family cottage in the Muskoka's. Feel free to connect with me on Twitter @bradleyfgrant

Hello all,

I have recently taken on the new Community Connected Learning Coordinator position with the Renfrew County Catholic DSB.  Our Board is looking at project-based learning with coding with new Community Partners.  We are starting to put Micro:bits in every school and now we are beginning the process of training staff.  We have found out that Coding, Micro:bits and Arduinos are the perfect Differentiated Instruction model (easy access to the high ceiling for what the students can code or create).

I simply want to know more about coding.

Twitter - @tlnoel

mattlet2002

Hi, I'm Matt and I work in Toronto as a Teacher-Librarian.  I took the course last summer and learned lots of new ideas.  I hope to get some new ideas this year!  I had the opportunity to teach coding to all the Grade 1 to 8 students in the school this year.  Originally, I had grand plans to teach different things to different grades, but realized that all the students were new coders and faced the same challenges regardless of grade.  So whatever I taught the Grade 8s, I also taught the Grade 1s.  I also saw the traditional "struggling" students excel at coding and the "top" students struggle with it.  It made for interesting learning skill comments on some report cards.

I love that we reach new people with coding, making, and doing.  The "top" students can be very unsure when there is no written test where they just need to provide answers, and instead they need to apply what they learn.  The traditional "struggling" students may continue to struggle a little to start, but learning picks up quickly as a result of seeing the direct application.  I had one student spend hours last year trying to figure out a complex coding solution for a robot, when in the past he was comfortable just earning passing grades on "tests".  Coding and project-based learning level the playing field.

pnoel

Hey guys,

I'm Preeti Noel, born and raised in Toronto, teach out in Peel.  I live downtown, and am gonna miss it when we eventually buy a house . Love music, volleyball and patios.  I have a 21 month old son who keeps me on my toes, and I've been teaching grade 8... for a while. Really excited for next year, as I will be full time guidance at my school. 

So...why am I intrigued?  Just want to learn something new.  I don't know where it will take me or how long it might take me but I'm interested. 

I think that's it.  I registered ... because I want to be in the know...even if I don't teach it.  If i'm suppose to be Empowering Modern Learners... I should be one too  

Twitter @Kat2Noel

Happy Summer

stheobald

Hello,

My name is Sandra Theobald. I teach grade 7 at St. John Catholic High School in Perth, Ontario (C.D.S.B.E.O). I am excited to be part of this class! Our school team is involved in a TLLP next year. We are excited to learn ways that coding/computational thinking aligns with the Ontario Curriculum and ways in which we can implement coding across the grade 7/8 division! I would be interested to know if anyone is using the Middle School Curriculum from Code.org (Computer Science Discoveries). Thank you for providing this opportunity to learn more!

euler

Hello All!

My name is Thomas Jackson, a secondary teacher for the TDSB for the last twenty years. I teach all high school levels of mathematics and computer programming at Danforth Collegiate and Technical Institute in Toronto. I am currently the CL for Math, Numeracy and IT and also used to teach the CCNA program at my previous school SATEC. I am finishing a fourth Cisco instructor course right now as I am planning to offering the program at my school in September 2019.         

I hope to use the strategies and resources from this course to help me prepare for this coming fall as I am scheduled to teach the grade 10 ICS2O course.

I am an avid biker (and motorcycle instructor) as I own three bikes; a 1982 Suzuki GS750, a 2013 Suzuki GS1250 and a 2017 Honda R300R. I will be returning to Canada's far north in the Yukon right after I finish this course. I have traveled across this great country five times including tours in Alaska, Labrador and Newfoundland.

Being a keen problem solver, I am always looking for opportunities to upgrade my skills from marking the Waterloo math Contests every spring, recently completing my masters degree for teachers of mathematics or becoming a certified Cisco instructor once again.

I also work for TVO as a HH senior tutor and very excited with our upcoming launch of the new Mathify interface for summer school.    

Is anyone registered for the upcoming OTF Math Workshop in Toronto and St Catherines?

Thomas           

cmoo16

Hi, my name is Cathy Money and I teach in Brantford, Ontario for GEDSB. I taught grade 3/4 for many years and explored code.org with my class. Two summers ago I took the AQ Integration of Information and Computer Technology in the Classroom. I was reminded of Raspberry Pi and bought one for myself (after buy one for my son and one for my husband when they first came out)! I would like to become more comfortable with coding and to be able to share the "coolness" of coding with my students. I'll be teaching grade 1/2 this year, so I would love information on resources suited for this age group. I'm looking forward to learning with all of you!!

annette3003

Hi everyone.

• Who are you? Annette Coffey
                                    • Where/what are you teaching? JK/SK in Longlac, ON for SNCDSB
                                    • What intrigued you to take this course? Interested in learning something new
                                    • What do you hope to learn? I am a new coder and am ready to learn
                                    • How do you hope to use this learning? use it in our class and even introduce it to other staff
                                    • How can we best support you? videos, ideas that i can use
                                    • What hobbies/passions do you currently enjoy? reading, walking,crafts
                                      edevooght

Hi my name is Emma and I'm from London, ON. I teach music 2-8 with TVDSB. I decided to look at this course when I saw how much of an interest some of my students took in coding and I didn't know how to do it. I've always loved tech and computers and I've noticed that I don't know a lot about what the students are doing. I'd like to see if I can get a little better so I can help my students to create some awesome things with scratch and other coding activities in the fall. I also just like doing free courses! Thanks TVO!!!

melboultbee

Melanie from Toronto. I teach gifted grade 8 Math and Science. I went to a  one day coding workshop with Brian and want to learn more. I hope to learn how to incorporate coding into some interdisciplinary inquiry projects. I hope to use what I learn to share with others at my school. I would like to see some ideas of projects that could be used with middle school students. My hobbies are ultrarunning, yoga and reading.

melboultbee

Melanie from Toronto.  I teach grade 8 gifted Math and Science in the TDSB. I am interested in learning new things about coding after taking a one  day workshop with Brian earlier this year. I hope to learn how to integrate coding in to various subject areas for some inquiry type projects. I want to use this new learning with my students next year and to share with my colleagues. I would love to see some videos and project ideas that are suitable for high level thinking middle school students. My hobbies include ultrarunning, yoga and reading.

mckinnonab

Hello, my name is Andrea McKinnon and I have been teaching with the CDSBEO for 16 years.  For the last 7 years, I have taught English, math, and science in a grade 7 classroom and resource the other half of the day. Next year, I'm involved in a TLLP with 2 other colleagues around coding and computational thinking.  Our goal is to figure out how we can directly link it to other subject areas like science and math!  To relax I enjoy reading and gardening.

afmcdnl
                                              • Who are you?
                                                • Andrew McDonald
                                              • Where/what are you teaching?
                                                • I'm based in Gatineau QC,  I'm currently the Educational Outreach Manager with Kids Code Jeunesse. I would say that I'm pretty good with Scratch, Micro:bit and also Raspberry Pi (one of 10 certified educators in Canada)
                                              • What intrigued you to take this course?
                                                • Brian is an interesting guy and I hope to meet him at some point...  we have had 3 missed connections... I hope that a fourth doesn't come up!
                                              • What do you hope to learn?
                                                • Hope to learn and share with others interested in coding in Ontario.
                                              • How do you hope to use this learning?
                                                • Help to connect with other educators in the region to build my network of awesome educators.
                                              • How can we best support you?
                                                • Having fun!
                                              • What hobbies/passions do you currently enjoy?
                                                • To be honest - building my Scratch projects - up to 137 projects!
                                              • What social media do you use for your PLN? (and what is your handle?)
                                                  jocelyn.kervin

Hi Andrew! I got hooked on learning more about coding BECAUSE of Kids Code Jeunesse! I went to one of their one-day sessions in Toronto a few months ago... loved it, have been learning a bit more on my own, very slowly. Am headed to the Toronto MakerEd day later this week and a Raspberry Pi night in Vaughan, with Sultan Rana, this week too! Small world! Can't wait to learn more!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Victoria, I work for Halton District School Board. The past two years I've taught grade 7. Loved every minute of it. In September I will be teaching a self-contained life skills class for primary and junior. I've engaged my fellow students with a variety of code activities using, scratch, hour of code, and unplugged code. Following we used co-spaces to build virutal reality ecosystem, using our knowledge of blocky code.  Further to that I'm hoping to connect with teachers to build on resources and activities for a wide range of grade levels.

I love spending time with my family, learning and engaging with my daughter. Just over a week ago during a daycare drop off, my four year old daughter stopped and said, "mom, when we get home, can we code BB-8?" I love her confidence and determination to work hard and problem solve.

james98

I am James. I teach Grade 3/4 Special Education integration and Drama and Dance. I am interested in learning ways to implement coding into my program.  There has been a lot of buzz around coding in the last couple of years which has gotten me interested. We are also looking to start a robotic program at our school next year.

cindyzaf

Hi, I'm Cindy Zafeiropoulos, but most people call me Zaf.  I have taught in Brampton, Ontario for 18 years and this fall I am making the change to a new school.  I previously taught a SERC class of 16 students all with very different abilities but a common love of all things "technology".  Learning from my students, I was intrigued by the options and engagement coding brought to the classroom and wanted to learn more to leverage it more authentically and purposefully.  I hope to learn how to "keep up" with my students and maximize the collaborative process to make my lessons more relevant and engaging!  I think the best way to support me is to challenge me.  I know that I don't enjoy being uncomfortable, but I also know that's when I'm about to learn something life changing.  I want to provide my students with that opportunity.  I love to read and travel...and I'll be completing the tail end of this course from Greece!  I primarily use Twitter for my PLN (@cindyzaf) because I enjoy its "quick and dirty" format that lets me explore more that piques my interest....and occasionally that which flares my annoyance.

Looking forward to the learning,

Zaf

donnad

What is a 'SERC' class?

cindyzaf

It's another acronym that stands for Special Education Resource Class.  Its a pull-out class where I was responsible for the Language and Math expectations for 16 students working on IEP expectations.  My class consisted of (at its largest) 17 students in grades 3-8 with learning expectations that spanned from pre-kindergarten to Grade 7 in those areas.  Some of my students also had alternative expectations to support their learning in various non-curricular areas such as behaviour, social skills and attending and work skills.  A very, very intense learning experience, but I wouldn't trade the amount of professional learning for anything!!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                            jagilchrist

Hi! I am Jeananne Gilchrist. I teach English to French Immersion to Grade 4 and Grade 5 Middle French Immersion Students at Richmond Public School in Richmond, Ontario which is just outside of Ottawa. I also teach Math to Grade 4 Middle French Immersion as well as Kindergarten Coverage. I don't have a homeroom as I am considered a rotary teacher. I am with the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board. I kind of stumbled into coding as I am the Digital Lead Learner for our school. I ran a Coding Club at our school this year. I had 65 students sign up out of a potential 94 junior students!!! It was crazy!! They LOVED it! A small group of these students formed the Code Breakers group and dedicated themselves to creating a video game as part of Coding Quest. They really enjoyed going to show their work at the Ottawa Arcade. I loved watching the collaboration and hearing the thinking that was going on as the students solved the problems that they encountered. I have also witnessed this in kindergarten where our kinder team has recently purchased a bee-bot. Our school is turning our lab into a Maker Space this summer so I am excited about the opportunities there. I would like to learn more about bringing coding into the classroom as well as how I can explain the value of learning coding to fellow staff members.

ms_hiltz

Hi, my name is Kara and I am a secondary teacher-librarian in Peel. I'm taking this course because I was a programmer before I became a teacher and I'm feeling a little out of the loop (pardon the pun) at a time when I could really be capitalizing on my past experience. I am hoping to learn enough that I can push forward in the creation of a relevant maker environment in our library learning commons. I started a girls' coding group called The Codettes two school years ago and would like to breathe some life back into it. There seem to be lots of programs to support this venture in the States, and nothing here My hobbies include formatting documents, often when nobody asked me to, and figuring out ways to keep my four and six year old kids from killing each other. I also live for the Netflix and can't imagine my life without it. My PLN handle is @ms_hiltz, although I often blur the lines between professional and personal networks and then I forget that twitter exists for weeks at a time too. Nice to meet you all! Looking forward to learning together.

afmcdnl

Hi Kara!!

Welcome!!   I wanted to high five your Codettes!!  Check out codeclub.ca for your link here in Canada

If you reach out to Melanie M. also in the Peel - @ the_mulc on twitter she is doing some great coding things with her learning commons.. Hill something - I'm not from the area so don't know names of schools. I will try to connect you with her via twitter.

jocelyn.kervin

Hi everyone! I'm Jocelyn, from Toronto Ontario. I have worked in the the York Region DSB for 19 years. I started out as an elementary Music teacher, then made the jump to secondary. I was most recently the Head of Music at a small high school in Aurora, Ontario. But I recently changed gears again and have moved into the role of Digital Literacy Resource Teacher... now I get to support teachers in their efforts to implement modern learning strategies and digital technology into their classrooms. It's been fantastic so far! I started learning about coding over the past year, a little bit at a time. I was able to take a one-day coding course with Kids Code Jeunesse in the winter, and want to continue the learning! I will also look for ways to use these skills to support the teachers that I work with. As for hobbies and passions, I love relaxing on my balcony with a good book, or getting out to explore new music around the city, and I work out my stress on the golf course or the gym when I can! I am easily found on Twitter, @jkervs, and I look forward to connecting with everyone this summer!

michaelleonard

Hello everyone,

I'm Michael from Waterloo Region. I was an intermediate teacher for 8 years, last year I had the opportunity to teach grade 4, and next year I will be starting a new role as a student success consultant. My goal for this course is to continue to learn more about coding. In September 2018, I will be leading a TLLP that focuses on developing deeper learning competencies in mathematics. The focus will be on leveraging technology in mathematics. We will be incorporating Spheros, Micro: bits, and 3D printers. This course will be the starting point of my own professional development for my TLLP. I am looking forward to learning with all of you.

Hi

My name is Nancy,I am from North Bay.  This is my 21st year in teaching, my goal make it 21st century learning. After 18 years, I am leaving Gr 1 and moving to Gr 6.  Interesting times.  Coding will be a ne learning experienc. 

Good Morning Everyone,

My name is Kiran and for the last six years, I've taught junior grades in a TDSB school. Most recently, I had an awesome group of Grade 5/6 students! Our class made daily use of Google Apps and this year, I introduced them to Scratch as part of a Coding Club, which they loved. I started reading about coding as a way of thinking, because I was interested in its link with math and computational thinking. As a Digital Lead Learners, I'm also hoping to focus on global competencies so that I can facilitate student solutions for local and global problems they identify. In September, I am teaching Grades 2/3 and now I'm interested to build my understanding of coding and global competencies in primary grades. Looking forward to learning with all of you!

mancusd

Hello!

My name is Diana Mancuso and I am a Core French teacher and a TCDSB 21C innovator. I first met Brian at one of our 21C sessions, which is where I came to understand the meaning behind the "poop missile algorithm" that had flooded my Twitter stream earlier that year. His talk gave me a new perspective on how students can demonstrate their learning through code and the importance of digital literacy.

Through this course, I hope to gather more ideas on how I can implement computer science (coding, programming and computational thinking) into my teaching practice, but also learn ways in which I can support and collaborate with my colleagues as they take their first steps into the world of coding.

Twitter has been my primary venue through which I have connected with other educators (@teacermomoftwo) and I enjoy sharing ideas on my blog over at torontoteachermom.com.

s_whit

Hello All,

I’m Shelley Whittaker, and I am currently in my 21st year of teaching with GECDSB. This fall I will be starting a new assignment in a new school community in the role of Prep Coverage.

For the past two years, I’ve intended to teach Coding to my primary classes, but lacked confidence and understanding. Over the past few days I have been trying to work my way through the first course, that was offered last summer. I’ve learned that Scratch does not work on my iPad Pro and that I will need to go to a computer, but that the Scratch Jr app uses icons that align in colour and function with those on the Scratch site... I’m learning new terms, sites and gaining some clarity and confidence to explore and let my guard down... And I’m stepping on the face of my fixed mindset that told me this was ‘too big and ambigious‘ for my literal, immediate needs gratified brain and personality to tackle... I’m also contemplating the value of purchasing a laptop to supplement my devices, but am considering my choice for iPad over laptop... The iPad reflects what is accessible‘available for students at school...

I hope through completing what is still available online from the first course, as well as the pathways this current course takes us on, to further grasp the elements and potential of coding is how it works, as well as how it can be applied to support curriculum delivery and student learning needs/motivation. Additionally I am hoping visually and mentally understanding coding with greater clarity and depth, so I can support students…

I hope to use this learning with the classes I engage with as a method to increase motivation and to make problem solving, creativity, and mathematics more meaningful.

The ways to best support me would be to know that engaging in this community/learning opportunity is intimating for me, and I feel vulnerable.

Outside of the professional bubble, I am a single parent to my 17 year old daughter. We have two ginormous cats, ‘Sabre’ and ‘Jube’, as well as two endearing ‘mini’ dogs, small in size and huge in personality, ‘Millie’ and ‘Jett’. The backyard is my oasis. To mention a few, I enjoy reading, gardening, knitting, learning, creating, walking, tea, podcasts, and binge watching Series that generally have a strong female lead.

I love Twitter for my PLN and I can be found at: @Ms_Whittaker_GE

charlandl

Hello,

My name is Lynn Charland and I am starting my 18th year in grade 7 for CSCDGR (New Liskeard).  I took the first part of this course and am interested in deepening my knowledge even more. For the first half of the year, I have let my students explore Scratch Jr, while the second half, we moved on to Scratch.  I gave them little tasks to do and they had to figure it out themselves (with my help by questioning, reasoning, making them explain it to others, etc).  Now, I would like to tie coding to the curriculum and my teaching instead of it being a side apprenticeship. 

My hobbies are working out (stress reliever from all the pre-teen/teen hormones), kayaking, gardening, camping, reading and anything to do with family (board / card games, travelling, etc.).

Twitter @LynnCharland

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                                                yolantak

Hello, my name is Yolanta Krawiecki from Ottawa. I teach at the Ottawa Catholic Board. I teach gr 5/6 French (Social Studies, Science, Arts). In the Fall I will be starting a new Science & Tech Consulting role.

I enjoy bringing coding into the classroom in a variety of forms (e.g., Makey, Makey, Scratch, Micro:bit, Hour of Code), so I'm hoping to learn more and how I can help other teachers bring it into their classrooms, with a focus on Science.

I enjoy spending time with my daughter, gardening, being outdoors, learning about history and cinema.

@ykrawiecki

maciels

My name is Stephanie Maciel and I am a Grade 7 Homeroom Teacher & Intermediate Science Teacher in Milton, On. I am a daughter, sister, tia (aunt), cousin, friend, listener, and Catholic Educator.  I am a Brock Alumni. I loved my experience from Brock during their Concurrent Education program that I continued onward with my education and completed my Masters in Education. I explored the Teaching, Learning and Development stream and the learning was everything I could have hoped for, and sooo much more! Definitely a life-long learner and forever a badger!

Math is an area that I am extremely passionate about especially Intermediate math. I am still learning the curriculum and developing my own understanding on how best to support my students diverse needs. I have worked with students from K-12 and am always blown away by how much I learn from my experiences learning with them! I feel so lucky to be able to teach each day. One of my goals is to increase students confidence and decrease student anxiety in math class as I truly do believe that there are strategies and tools that can make math accessible and applicable to all. Coding is an area I explored after a conference that I attended last year. The course was facilitated by Brian through OTF last year. I really sparked my interest and this year I really only dabbled with coding as a part of my classroom. I hope to learn how to further integrate coding into my curriculum and I am looking forward to growing my own understanding as well.

I am an avid Blue Jays fan and have been since 1991, it began as a family experience and became a true love of mine. I played softball throughout my teenage years and that only furthered my love for the sport. I am hoping my new school participates in the elementary tournament so I can coach a team! I love to travel, spend time with loved ones and to shop!

I use twitter - @Ms_Smaciel for my PLN! Follow for a follow 

shanthi

Hi,

I am Shanthi working in Toronto District School Board. I am teaching summer school now. I will teach Grade ½ in this fall. I have seen kids enjoying learning through technology by using Explain Everything, Piccollage Apps in my classroom room. I would love to bring coding in my classroom after learning from this course. My hobby is learning online courses and spending time with my family. Looking forward to learn and bring more fun in kids learning:)

sharmasu

Good Morning,

I am Surbhi Sharma sorry for joining you late. I have been a Reading Recovery Teacher for 6 years. I went  back to teaching Grade 1/2 last year. I work for Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board. I am interested in learning about integrating technology in my classroom. I am the beginning stages of implementing tech. in my classroom. I feel that I don't have enough confidence to get this set up in my classroom yet. I would love to collaborate and gather insightful experiences to get successful. I love to read and go on hikes with my husband. I live by the Rouge and like to explore trails.

mariastorto

Greetings!

(Registered last week and wish I'd copied the info. from my registration form.)

Maria Storto - ELL Teacher @TCDSB    Twitter Handle: library4maria

I participated in the first Hour of Coding with my students.

Background:  I had been programming Behemoth Computers (School Board and University of Waterloo) the first two years Computer Science was introduced at my High School. As the only girl in the class, it was about the same time Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs were doing the same thing south of the border. Yes, I am That old! LOL.

I loved Computer Science class and I would stealthily debug my programs during Literature class (teacher was an interesting lecturer who spoke mostly about his Air Force days) and I surprising earned an A+ in his class. It's kind of a shock that I ended up majoring in English Lit., and Elementary Teaching when I thought I was headed for a Computer Science career. But it's all GOOD!

Besides the Hour of Code, I have taught students to create flow charts and use algorithms, but have not gone heavy into CODE. 

So I need to learn current (Programming-coding) methods to possibly incorporate Coding in some of my lessons.

I enjoy theatre, opera, music, and art; as well as searching for new and innovative ways to engage my students and encourage them to grasp 21st Century skills which can prepare them for jobs that may not yet exist.

You can ask me anything about the "olden days". 

etrotechaud

Hi!  I'm tardy..but that is nothing new.  It usually takes me a day or two after an online course begins to get into the swing of things.  My name is Erin and I just returned to Ontario after teaching in Northern Saskatchewan for 5 years.  This year was a bit of re-acclimatizing and I finished off the year with a 4 month LTO in a grade 2/3 class.  What I love about coding is it's ability to equalize the playing field so to speak.  When I was up north we used Scratch and Code Monkey.  I was amazed at what my students could accomplish and how engaged they became.  I am hoping this course might spark more interest for me and help me become more engaged and interested in coding so that I can help spark something in my students.  A little bit about me outside of the professional realm....I have 3 rescue dogs (side effect of living north!) - Scruffy, Cooper and Chloe.  They basically run my life.  I am attempting to learn to golf this summer (the BFF thinks this will be our 'old lady' sport years from now when we are good) and I've returned home to help my mom through a bought with cancer (I don't say this for sympathy...just for understanding, as I might be tardy with posts on days that are bad).  I am very excited to see a very diverse range of experience on this post and can't wait to learn and share with all of you.

And interesting side note....Bradley, I use to work at The Learning Partnership as well.  Donna, my LTO was in Smiths Falls (not Montague but at Chimo ) and I was a fabulous (just kidding) occasional teacher for the amazing Jeananne.....the word is so small - technology seems to make it even smaller!

Cheers!

Erin

christinavp

And the winner for the last one in is........ probably me! I have been raised by good parents and I turned into a 'good' adult, but somewhere down the "creating 4 children" line I have become that person I swore I would never be!! I have been teaching for over 14 years in a variety of settings, all within the furthest board east in Ontario: CDSBEO. I have spent many of the most recent years at Sacred Heart C.S. in Cornwall, but we are undergoing changes. The last high school in our board has just become a 7-12 and I made the decision to move to the new intermediate wing. I will be 7/8 in September at St. Joseph's CSS, Cornwall. Because of my tech interest, I have been following Brian Aspinall (I believe his wife was at our school last month, but I didn't know about it!?!?!) and that is the main reason I discovered TeachOntario!

Technology has impacted me since I was a rugrat under my dad's feet. We are amateur radio operators (my call is VE3CGM) and from the time mom made me walk, it was dad holding out technology for me to chase. I was one of those kids who programmed a Vic20 in our basement! Hobbies are tech, reading, gardening, arts, outdoor adventures and camping, and I am proud to say I have driven all over our great country of Canada. Unfortunately, I have not made it to the territories or to Labrador.... YET!

Other hobbies include cleaning up lego, and putting costumes back into the bins. My boys are 13, 8, 5, and 1. The 5 year old had a birth diagnosis of Down syndrome and it amazes me how much the world underestimates this fellow (ever since that first, sad report after he was born, I have been trying to change the appreciation for ALL people).

I do use Facebook, but i hate it. I only keep it for the family, down syndrome connections, and the events. I have Instagram, I think

I enjoy using Twitter (@nina_vanputten) because I find it streamlined, and there seems to be less drama. God knows with 4 boy-kids that there is enough to occupy me without the drama! Cheers! Christina

donnad

My students and I read an article on currents4kids.com telling about the new Gerber Baby, Lucas. Their reaction was quite interesting to me. They didn't see it as a big deal that a baby with Down Syndrome was chosen. They thought he was really cute so why wouldn't he be chosen. Perhaps an effect of integration in our schools, or just honest, untainted opinions of 9/10 year olds.

valerie

Hi, everyone! 

My name is Valerie.  I have worked for the Toronto District School Board for the last 13 years.  I have taught kindergarten for the last three years.  Next year, I will be taking on a new role: ELL/teacher librarian.  Although the library position is supposed to be a 0.5 position, it really is not.  I will be doing some prep coverages as well.  I mention this because my principal would like me to engage students in STEM/technology learning opportunities.  So I am hoping to learn about coding so that I can teach my students how to code as well. 

I would like to learn different coding activities that I can use with students from K to Gr. 6 or how I can create coding activities that are connected to the Ontario curriculum documents (beyond mathematics and language arts).  

My hobbies include reading, walking, and cooking.  I stay in touch with my former high school classmates in the Philippines through Facebook.  Although I have set up a Twitter account for professional development, I am not an active user of it.  I prefer reading blog posts than looking through tweets.  

thecactusclass

Hello!

I’m Amanda Blanchard and  I live in Canada’s capital-     Ottawa    . This year I will be teaching grade 2/3 English. Last September, I decided I was going to learn more about coding.  I tried many new things. In my class we did code.org, scratch, Ozobots, dash and dot and hour of code.  My students were excited for every Wednesday afternoon because we spent that time learning to code. We also just finished up our second year running MAKERSpace for the whole school. I learned about Coding quest but did not have students participate-hopefully this year they will be ready!  I learned about microbits, too with a PD session from kids code jeunesse at the science and tech museum in Ottawa.

I am am curious to learn through this course how teachers combine coding with curriculum, what teachers did that was successful with elementary grades; I am hoping to connect with other teachers with the same mindset and interest in code & computer science as I have.

At home I have three daughters            ♀️ (8 and under), two cats       and a dog   . My hobbies are: naps (seriously though!), plants    everywhere and everything and anything photography (i hope to try green screen tech this year!).

I’m on Twitter   @TheCactusClass

donnad

Wish I had known about the PD with Kids Code Jeunesse. I'm only an hour away.

I used Scratch Jr for my 3/4's to retell a story book "Stanley Goes to School". We did that the first week of school. I had never used coding before in my life. The kids loved it and there was so much collaboration at their own doing. I got the idea from the MakerSpace modules on TeachOntario.

We had done a perimeter and area unit building paper taco trucks. The students created slogans and then used Scratch to create an add with rotations, translations, and transformations. They also recorded their voices saying their slogan.

And, there's nothing better than naptime!

Hi! My name is Neela Jacoband I teach Grade 1 in TDSB, Toronto. I am hoping to learn more about coding and how I can effectively use it in my classroom. I can use this learning by introducing coding activities through Scratch Jr., Wonder, etc., and supporting my students to work on their projects. My hobbies include art, interior decorating, gardening, cooking and travelling. I use Twitter and my handle is- @neela_jacob

fiesserm

Hi,

My name is Melissa Fiesser.  I teach Grade 2 for the HCDSB.  I would like to learn more about coding in the classroom, such as using Dot and Dash which my school has purchased this past year.  I am looking for new STEM activities and would like to engage my students using technology in new ways.  I love reading, gardening, and cooking.  My Twitter like is fiesserm

Best,

Melissa

montand

A little late to the show, however still very interested in the course

• Who are you? Junior Grade teacher with the TCDSB
                                                                                                          • Where/what are you teaching? Teaching at Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati in Toronto
                                                                                                          • What intrigued you to take this course? Interested in Brian's perspective and experiences and connecting with teachers across Ontario. I have been on a journey to include coding in my classroom and school for many years, started way back with the old lego brick.
                                                                                                          • What do you hope to learn? More ideas on how to incorporate coding and computational thinking in my classroom and school.
                                                                                                          • How do you hope to use this learning? Connecting with others, sharing ideas and reading.
                                                                                                          • How can we best support you? Keep ideas brief and to the point.  With supported references as links, for deeper understanding if I choose to do so.
                                                                                                          • What hobbies/passions do you currently enjoy? Attempting to exercise, spending time with my 3 kids, coaching soccer and anything related to learning new things that spark my interest.
                                                                                                          • What social media do you use for your PLN? (and what is your handle?)  You can connect with me on twitter @mrm1mr
                                                                                                            mcgirardin

I am starting a bit late due to travelling to visit friends at a cottage in New Brunswick... no internet at the lake!

My name is Michelle Girardin and I am a teacher at Thorncliffe Park P.S., an enormous Grade 1-5 school in Toronto (TDSB). For the last 4 years, I have been teaching Grade 3. I will begin a new adventure in September as part of a 5-person team teaching Digital Literacy (media literacy is the main reportable subject), on rotary! I am hoping to learn as much as possible throughout this course to build my knowledge base as I begin the process of planning a new program with my Digital Literacy team. In addition to teaching all Grade 1-5 students at our school, our Digital Literacy team is looking forward to sharing knowledge with staff at our school to build Global Competency and 21st Century Learning for all!

Beyond teaching, I spend my time dancing (modern dance and ballet), knitting, and travelling.

I use Twitter professionally and my handle is @m_girardin

I look forward to learning with you all this summer!

Michelle