4 Replies Latest reply on 28-Mar-2018 9:12 PM by aking

Week Three: Discussion #1

teachontario.team

How would you support Digital Citizenship and the development of Critical Thinking Skills in your school?

• Re: Week Three: Discussion #1
          kmaggirias

I support digital citizenship and the development of CT skills through my Library Learning Commons and collaborating with educators. Working on digital citizenship I like to use a variety of resources, but particularly Canadian based Media Smarts, http://mediasmarts.ca/?gclid=CL_A19vJmboCFZA-MgodOXMANg

Through different activities and lessons I work together to help support student learning through discussion as well as promoting digital safety in our school. This can be done through the creation of Public Service Announcements, Media Literacy posters as well as bringing different grades together to share and discuss their ideas. I have also participated in a Modern Learning night that helped support parent learning.

Through critical literacy I like to use the Student Inquiry Process (framework) that helps support collaboration throughout my school. Here is the link of the poster http://www.accessola.org/web/Documents/OLA/Divisions/OSLA/INQUIRY%20POSTER%20-%20English.pdf

What are your thoughts? aking leah.kearney

Hi, thanks for reminding me about MediaSmarts there is a wealth of resources there for us to access. I was wondering about the following questions:

• How do we capitalise on students confidence and expertise while simultaneously teaching them the digital skills they will need to be good citizens?
              • When you meet youngsters do you see evidence of them having had digital citizenship education throughout their years in school?

kmaggirias

Hi Leah,

We need to be cognisant, that our younger learners may be more aware of digital citizenship than adults. About 5 years ago, I had introduced digital safety and citizenship through a school wide focus in Media Literacy. I found that some of my primary students had a better understanding of privacy and cyber safety than the Junior and Intermediate students. I wonder why this was the case?  I do believe that as time progresses teachers, students and parents are gaining more knowledge and becoming more tech savvy.

Inquiry into cyber safety and the digital world needs to be developed and fostered, in partnership with parents and students. As teachers, we need to build and develop learning through the inquisitive and curious learner, but still be mindful that they are children and do this delicately. Understanding and exploring digital citizenship, needs to be explicitly taught through our subject areas. I see evidence of digital citizenship learning with my students, the biggest concern that teachers and parents are expressing, is the management of technology and giving technology a break!

Digital citizenship, and the skills required to be active citizens, can be supported through Global competencies/21st Century skills. Specifically, through the new transferable learning skills that is projected to be released by the Ministry of Education in September, we can support Digital Citizenship through the competencies of Citizenship and Critical thinking. See the pdf image of the new Modernizing Ontario's Report Card. http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/document/forms/report/card/edu_modernizing_report_cards_eng.pdf

Do you agree?

aking

I am a media arts teacher and so I rarely teach media literacy out of context.  We work it in and use media all the time so that when we are faced with a challenge that’s real!  I’m also a big fan of allowing students to step outside of our walled garden as they’re ready.  Lastly,  nothing is more authentic than creating media, from scratch whenever possible.