9 Replies Latest reply on 22-Mar-2018 1:42 PM by abbi.30

Week One: Discussion

teachontario.team

Do you agree with the statement, “Managing your digital footprint is not just about keeping everything private. It's about managing what you put out there”?

• Re: Week One: Discussion
          keb_hutchison

I think it is both.  It is important to remember that although you can manage what you put out about yourself, there is a lot of information about us in the digital world we create by using our GPS, online services, etc.  Sometimes it is the information that is being collected on us is a little more overwhelming.

Kathleen

kmaggirias

Hi Kathleen,

Is there such a thing as privacy anymore? We are constantly being monitored and tracked and I think that it is very difficult to uphold our privacy. On the one hand, we are sharing information, images through social media as well as sharing information through google maps, applications as well as satellites. I wonder if the constant action of being on all the time, has started to affect our well-being?

aking

I'm taking advantage of the Green Ontario Fund | Energy saving programs for your home or business. and having a Smart thermostat installed next weekend.  Apparently it will start tracking when we come and go from the house and start making adjustments to our home temperature....I'm looking forward to the savings and to the improvement of my environmental footprint.  I believe that we can keep leveraging our data for the greater good.  I agree that there is a time and place for unplugging, for sure, but I really worry that fear-mongering is preventing our education system from connecting with the digital future of our students.

kmaggirias

Hi Alanna,

Thank you for making the connection of technology and our environment. Digital data can help support how we can be more responsible citizens as well as provide benefits. I think about where all my data is being stored and what that data could mean for the future?

For myself having access to data and different systems allows me to be more self-conscious about what I consume or don't consume. My concern is at the rapid rate of data growth, how can we conceptualize and organize all the data out there?

leah.kearney

What a great question! I just realised that you can very easily find out who people are following on Twitter. I wonder about the assumptions that we can make about people based on who they follow and how revealing this information is. In chatting with a colleague, she mentioned that it is preferable to have two Twitter accounts, one curated for public view and one more private.

kmaggirias

Hi Leah!

Thank you for your response. When I started on twitter, I joined to develop professional connections and to support my professional learning. I don't have two twitter accounts, but use it mostly for professional connections. You bring up an excellent point about who we follow and the impact on our digital footprint.

Are the people we follow and our followers a true reflection of who we are? I use to have my privacy setting on twitter as private, but then realized the limitations it would have for making connections and other educators connecting with me.

Looking forward to your response!

keb_hutchison

Hi Leah

The thought of two different accounts is very interesting - and impacts your question about assumptions we can make about others by viewing who they follow, etc.  It brought to mind my two teenage/early twenties daughters who I know have multiple accounts on the same social media platform.  For example, I know that I get to see the "clean" version of their Facebook and Instagram accounts - but that there is one that they make sure I never see.  Leads me to wonder what sort of impact this double account scenario might lead to in the future. Which is their true self?

Kathleen

Funny, isn't it? My 16 year old daughter has two Instagram accounts, one of which definitely pushes the envelope a little bit more. I guess for the kids/teens/young adults today they are quite used to curating different versions of themselves to present on social media.

abbi.30

I agree, our digital footprint is largely based off of what we put out there, a curated feed. Some people online choose to disclose a small window into their selves, creating a smaller digital footprint than someone who has an unfiltered output of data. Having a digital footprint is not a bad thing; on a creative level it can allow people to discover your work, used as a  networking tool. Social sites such as Linkedin allow people to discover your professional background, learning more about your personality and your skills. So having an entirely private digital footprint is good and bad; good because your all aspects of your life is private (if that is what you wish to have), bad because in a world that is largely digital, your presence is minimal (and depending on who, that presence is important).

With that, curating your digital footprint is like blinders for the digital world. You're choosing how people view you, a view that is often first impression. How you choose to show yourself is up to your management of the content you're producing.

Of course there are things in your digital footprint that you can't mainly control from curation. Your searches are compiled and create curated ads, sharing your location turns into data about popular spots and the average user. Then again, these are not things that are always attached to your name; this is an anonymous feedback loop. Curation comes out of the heightened awareness to online presence in the world today; things don't get deleted from the Internet, just harder to find. Social norms now have us hyper-aware of what comes up when you Google yourself, and with that choosing what we put out into the world. Just as we choose what to wear everyday, whether for business or pleasure, as is our digital footprint.