15 Replies Latest reply on 28-Mar-2018 9:04 PM by aking

Week One: Action

teachontario.team

Have you Googled yourself lately? Would you be happy with what you find? How do you feel about your digital footprint?

• Re: Week One: Action
          keb_hutchison

Since this isn't something I do regularly, I just did it now!  There was very little I could find about myself but it was interesting to note other people who shared the same name.  Who knew that Kathleen Hutchison is also a noted British television producer?  It was also interesting to note a few others by the same name on Facebook.  This led me to wonder about the misinformation that can be spread when one person's identity is mistaken for someone else by the same name?

Kathleen

kmaggirias

Hi Kathleen,

Mistaken identities can be a serious problem. Did you click images? I always find it interesting different images that are posted under my name search and even pictures that have nothing to do with me! How can we monitor/limit the information we share? Should we be questioning or privacy and security?

aking

Mistaken identitles are a serious issue.  My friend Alec Couros has had his identity used and misused over and over again.  Regina man's identity used in online romance scamming - Saskatchewan - CBC News

But something that excites me is how much our digital data can tell us.  Have you heard of Wolfram Alpha?  It's like an online supercomputer all on its own.  I know Facebook isn't all the rage with anyone (except for people my age, apparently) but this kind of visualization has huge teaching potential: Wolfram|Alpha Personal Analytics . Try it!  Tell me what you think!

keb_hutchison

Hi Alanna

Thanks for the link to Wolfram/Alpha - I loved it!  Something else for me to check regularly now.  I never want my two daughters to view my report though since one daughter's name appears in larger font (therefore appears more often) than the other in the Worldle image!  I might need to add some new posts with the other daughter's name and see if I can make that image improve.

Kathleen

kmaggirias

Alanna, that is my biggest fear!!! Stealing my identity....I also worry about the validity of information and different things that are posted about me or connected/linked to me. How do we go about rectifying false information or "Fake News"?

leah.kearney

Well, that was fun ;) The first thing that came up was my Twitter account which is interesting as I am fairly new to Twitter.There only seem to be a few pictures of me out in cyberspace. There is a record of some of the different positions that I have held recently.There is a woman with the same name as me who racked up a huge debt in Wales which is one of the top stories that comes up in the Google search.               

abbi.30

After entering the program, it's been repeated to keep track of how you come across on Google! Doing it now I chuckle at what I find. First it's my LinkedIn, which I was volun-told to get (and as a result unfortunately don't update it as much as I should). Then weirdly enough is my Grade 11 Prezi about "How Murder Effects the Family". Now I've tried to get that down but still have not had contact back from Prezi. It's an odd presentation without any context; I created that for my English class at the time where we had to talk about a social issue. The book I read was The Lovely Bones and my issue was essentially Trauma and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (a concept I didn't know of at the time and hence the odd title). Weird how that's now associated with my Googled name!

Then is some stuff from Addictions and Mental Health Ontario, where I used to work so nothing too out there over there. But  there is a short article that came up from when I was at the University of Toronto paper.

All in all not bad, but bad if someone is trying to judge my writing based off of one article and Grade 11 presentation!

This reminds me of this Disney rumour I heard once. Apparently they named the movie "Frozen" because they wanted the google search of "Disney Frozen" to stop leading to the theory that Walt Theory had himself cryogenically frozen, but rather a pleasant Oscar winning movie about two sisters. Good way to lead off the Google scent!

eliseferris

Interesting! For a long time when I was googled one of the top hits was me at a leadership retreat when I lived internationally in grade 5. It doesn't appear to come up now though so your Prezi may disappear on its own eventually.

kmaggirias

Hi Abbi,

I can completely relate about the Prezi issue. I too have my Prezi out there from Teacher's College. It's not a bad thing, I share my pedagogical practice, but I'm a bit annoyed that I can't remove it.

What does the history of our posts onto the WWW (World wide web) mean for our students/children? What impact do you think this will have on social media apps to develop the home-school connection with parents and share day-to-day happenings in the classroom?

librarykate

I have reflected on my kids' privacy more in recent years. When Facebook started, I shared a lot more about them than I do now. (Nothing really personal, but still, without their permission as they were too little to understand.)  I think the challenge with technology moving faster than societal norms is that by the time we realize the impact, the "damage" has been done. Fortunately, in my case the "damage" is minor - but that is by no means the case for everyone.

kmaggirias

Hi Kate,

With the Facebook privacy issues that are going on in our world, the spotlight on privacy has started to shift and conversations are happening that were not being discussed with as much vigor and intensity as they are now. I wonder if we have been mislead, or misinformed about understanding the legitimacy and authenticity of what we post and how we influence others....if adults are struggling with this new reality, how can we protect our children?

aking

I’m not sure protection is my strongest parental impulse.....the Internet is more like a beautiful big ocean, and I want to wade in together with my son!  We’ll be careful of the riptide and jellyfish but we’re still going swimming!

eliseferris

This is always a good laugh. I am pleased to see that my Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are the top three results that come up when I run the search. I am wondering though if this is because I access these sites on my computer and therefor Google is filtering sites by my frequency of use as well as their search? I am also shocked to find out my name is listed as deceased in Florida, you learn something everyday I suppose

librarykate

This is an activity I ask students to do when I teach about digital footprint in the school library but I haven't searched myself in ages. A few years ago when I googled my own name, pictures of my sister came up. lol! Now I have a page and a half of actual, relevant professional links, so that's pretty cool!  Anyone stumbling upon me in Google would think I'm pretty seriously focused on school libraries. They'd be right.