17 Replies Latest reply on 28-Mar-2018 11:44 AM by kmaggirias

Minds On: Introduce Yourself!

teachontario.team

To begin, take a minute and introduce yourself to the rest of the group. How concerned are you about your digital footprint?

• Re: Minds On: Introduce Yourself!
          kmaggirias

Welcome to our March book club! I am Kelly Maggirias and may I say, very excited to be facilitating Nora Young's The Virtual Self! I am looking forward to the upcoming insightful discussions we will be sharing. I am concerned about my digital footprint as an educator, parent and individual. From 1 to 10 I would give it a 7. Trying to manage myself as well as the children that I am responsible for can be stressful. The internet is a HUGE and Endless space.

Kelly

keb_hutchison

Hi! My name is Kathleen Hutchison and I am a Grade 6 classroom teacher.  I don't generally post a lot of information about my self, but I admit that I use social media websites to keep track of and aware of what is going on with others around me.  I am also aware that even if I am not posting about myself, there are many posts made by others in which I am involved, cited or pictured.  As a parent of two young adults, I am concerned about their digital footprints.  It is second nature for them to Snapchat and Instagram every moment of their lives - I sometimes wonder how much is too much?

Kathleen

kmaggirias

Hi Kathleen,

Welcome to our book club! I can completely relate to your concerns about screen time. I’m finding that it is a constant worry about how much screen time our children/youth should have. I’m finding thay between school and home we sometimes spend a substantial amount of time on screens. Should we be limiting our own use as well?

Looking forward to our discussions!

keb_hutchison

Hi Kelly

I know that I spend way too much time in front of my screen - but I am wondering how, if possible, this can be limited. So much of all the work I do both professionally, and socially is done via technology.  I create all my lesson plans online, and share homework via class website, in addition to trying to incorporate technology into classes as frequently as possible.  I have just completed an on-line masters of education program which required me to spend an inordinate amount of time in front of a screen for the past 2 years.  And when I want to reach a friend, I know that it is much easier to make contact via text since no one picks up the phone anymore!

And yet, on the other hand....what message am I sending to those around me in my classroom or my household?  Is what is in front of the screen more important than what is in front of me in person?

Kathleen

kmaggirias

Hi Kathleen,

I constantly struggle with screen time, especially when my children are around. I think it is very important to set boundaries and screen free times and areas. Writer Neil Pasricha, Book of Awesome author talks about "untouchable days." Days that are tech free, disconnected from the world. Should everyone be planning these types of days? Is it possible in our busy connected world?

keb_hutchison

Hi Kelly

I know that I find it hard to set aside these "untouchable" days. That said, I recently returned from a week away for March Break - and while it was not entirely screen free, it was definitely screen reduced.  And I found that I didn't fall behind or have too much to catch up on.  Specifically in terms of email, by not responding instantaneously, I not only had more time to think about a course of action, but in many cases was provided with new information by the time I returned, or found that the issue/question had gone away or been resolved. 

Do you think this is the same - reduction rather than elimination?

Kathleen

aking

Hi everyone!  Late to the party (as usual) but I love this book so I am in (better late than....).  I am VERY concerned with my digital footprint because I want the world to see the me I've groomed, not the one that people mash together.  I'm actually wondering about the legacy of my digital footprint after I'm gone (not that I'm planning on going anywhere anytime soon) as in this article from last year: Digital assets often overlooked in estate planning - The Globe and Mail

In the era of self-publishing everywhere, I'm more concerned about posting enough rather than posting too much.

leah.kearney

Hi everyone, I am coming in late...but didn't want to miss the opportunity. I am an Instructional Liaison here at TVO,  seconded from TDSB. I am interested in digital privacy, how social media impacts young minds, our digital footprints and lots of other issues that relate to Nora Young's work.

abbi.30

Hi everyone,

I am a intern at TVO working with the digital learning teams, and am a primary/junior teacher on alternative practicum from Queen's University. I'm interested in how the digital world impacts our social skills, perception of the self, attention span and much more!

eliseferris

Hi everyone, Leah told me about this awesome discussion and encouraged me join. I look forward to discussing Nora Young's work with you all. I am a Faculty of Education student at Queen's University currently interning at TVO in the Digital Learning Outreach department. As an educator-in-training, we are constantly being advised to be mindful and considerate in our online presence. I think it is important to speak about and better understand so I am looking forward to working with you all more.

librarykate

I am Kate Johnson-McGregor - and I know the month is almost over but I thought I'd pop in to see what everyone thought about this book. I'm a teacher-librarian at a secondary school in Brantford, Ontario. I am too connected to technology. I have also not been nearly cautious enough about user agreements and social media mining my data, I am sure. As for digital footprint, I'm fairly sure mine is mostly positive. I really try to be mindful about what I say and what I share on social media. Thanks for letting me join your club!