1 Reply Latest reply on 24-Feb-2018 10:38 PM by toniduval

Week Two: Discussion #1

teachontario.team

Vilson focuses on building relationships in this section of the book. “We can’t blame hip-hop for social inequity, war, infant mortality rates, the rising cost of attending university, racism, or high incarceration and unemployment rates.” (96) Matthew R. Morris states “Hip hop culture is viewed as the opposite of implicit school culture” in his TedTalk. As educators, how can we change the system from within?

• Re: Week Two: Discussion #1
          toniduval

I am learning a lot about hip hop culture.  It's not a culture I've put a lot of time into investigating, participating or understanding. I feel like I need a hip hop 101 course to fill me on on it's history and cultural importance. 

In my role as TL this year I'm realizing I don't know what I don't know.  Hip hop culture is near the top of that list, as are issues around truth and reconciliation in Canada.  I am actively reading books I would never have picked up in previous years (This is Not a Test included). 

I have been trying to teach my students the best I can. I have had a lack of understanding  the culture they come from therefore it has been missing from the classroom.  I am learning about my place of privilege in society and the importance of expanding my understanding of socio-economic factors on students lives.