9 Replies Latest reply on 23-Feb-2018 3:18 PM by librarykate

Introductions

teachontario.team

In order to become acquainted with the other participants, please take a moment to introduce yourself and respond to the following question:

• Tell us your name, school, and teaching assignment or speciality
      • Author Jose Vilson stresses the importance of Teacher Voice in education. Explain your understanding of “Teacher Voice” and provide an example of how/why voice is important in your experience and/or practice.
        • Re: Introductions
          librarykate

Hello! My name is Kate Johnson-McGregor and I am your book club facilitator for February. I made a flipgrid video to introduce myself - you can link to it from the main page orl click here https://flipgrid.com/975a2b

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and diving into this great book!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            toniduval

I am Toni Duval from Thorndale PS in the PDSB. I am a first year TL. My experience has been in elementary schools, mainly in the elementary grades.  I have been working hard in my new role to make the LLC a welcoming, engaging and supportive place for all learners. I also have an interest in learning about social justice and equity for all. I am making a conscious effort to learn about the world from perspectives different than my own. I too realize I come from a place of privilege due to my race, educational background and economic stability.  I am learning how to use my role as TL to support student success by providing multiple opportunities for success and to support teachers and they build their knowledge base to support students. I received my book last last week, and look forward to engaging in the text with fellow educators.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                librarykate

Hi Tony - Welcome to the Teach Ontario book club for February - and welcome to the wonderful world of school libraries!  The transition to TL is an exciting one - lots of challenges and opportunities to make your school a better, more equitable place for students.  I look forward to sharing ideas and discussing the book with you. Thanks for posting!

leah.kearney

Hi Kate and Tony, I am Leah Kearney and I am an Instructional Liaison at TVO on secondment from TDSB. Looking forward to the rich conversations that we will have about this wonderful book.

aking

Hi everyone!  Sorry I'm late to the party....errr, book club.

I'm Alanna King, teacher-librarian and eLearning English teacher in Upper Grand DSB.  Some people at the school have nicknamed me "The Lorax" because I speak for the trees.....and going paperless as much as possible, but really that's just one example of what I speak up for.  I try to model my citizenship to the secondary students and staff where I work.  I open up difficult topics in the library and invite conversation.  This month, for example, I'm spotlighting all the books that we have in our library that are banned somewhere in Canada.  The students are amazed, for example, that some schools do not allow holy books or Harry Potter or The Handmaid's Tale.  We have great conversations about this a lot!  I'm calling it the "Enjoy your Freedom to Read" display modelled on this organization's work: http://www.freedomtoread.ca/

librarykate

Hi Alanna - Thanks for participating and sharing your ideas for stretching our students' (and perhaps our personal) comfort zones. In my experience, one of the best things about teaching is the opportunity to create a safe space to explore uncomfortable ideas. I love that you're providing your students the opportunity for interaction with challenged texts - in the ENG4C course at my high school, the students are asked to choose a book from a list of challenged or banned works for their independent reading. They reflect on why it may have been banned and what the implications of that might be. Thanks for sharing your ideas - I look forward to your perspective!

librarykate

I absolutely can share that list! I've attached it in a google doc. It's in no particular order, unfortunately, but these are all books in our library collection. I often refer to the ALA website for banned/challenged works Banned & Challenged Books | Advocacy, Legislation & Issues  and the folks at the Book and Periodical Council.  http://www.freedomtoread.ca/freedom-to-read-week/#.WpB2v6inG70

And I apologize for the delay - this week has been a bit unusual as they declared a state of emergency in my hometown due to flooding and my school sits on the riverbank.  It has been stressful for students and colleagues in my community, but we're getting back to normal.

ENG4C - Banned Books - Google Docs