13 Replies Latest reply on 7-Dec-2017 12:50 PM by mister_pamayah

Week Three: Task #1 Discussion

teachontario.team

Task #1

After browsing the video responses in Flipgrid, discuss your answers to these questions:

• Thinking practically, how can you foster students using social media for good?
      • What specific actions can you take with your students, schools and learning environment?

Discuss below.

• Re: Week Three: Task #1 Discussion
          aking

I'm still reading this section but I just finished a certain aspect on inviting parents into the conversation and this resonated with me.  I have a nephew who is in grade 1 and his Mom, my younger sister Heidi, has been invited to view his work through the classroom Twitter feed.  It's so interesting watching my tech-phobic sister go through this emotional wrestling of whether or not to engage.  I'm excited because I have watched her make a Twitter account in the last few months (no profile pic, no tweets) but she's motivated by her son's work to get involved.  How can I leverage that same interest in students to get my parents more involved through social media?  Thoughts on this?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              leah.kearney

Great question, Alanna. I have been mulling this over as well, particularly as I have an Early Years background and Kindergarten educators have been at the forefront of using social media to make the learning visible to parents. Whilst I am a huge supporter of teachers sharing in this way,(as I think it de-privatises our practice) there is an assumption being made that this is what all parents want. What about those like your sister who prefer not to participate in this world?

aking

I'm trying to respond authentically to your thoughts here Leah, but the voice inside my head is saying "push them off the diving board!!"  I'm thrilled that my sister is starting to think about this.  I know that you know what I mean when I say that the online world is so rich when you begin to explore it. I'm hoping this Twitter experience will tease her into sharing more herself.

jencassatodd

I am really appreciating this conversation between you and Alanna. There are lots of ways to share and invite parents in without taking pics of actual kids (I know this is a worry for some). I also think that meeting them where they are is important. It might be Instagram or Facebook rather than Twitter. What I have found through my observations is that by "pushing them off the diving board" so to speak, as Alanna suggests, we are helping them to learn these platforms as well, which can create some very healthy conversations and as you suggest, opening up a window into the classroom.

mjensen@scdsb.on.ca

We have to lead and model what we want to see.  I tweeted to authors questions from the kids here and Lois Lowry and Roland Smith replied back with 24 hours!  That made a real impression with their teacher and the kids in Grade 8.  I also want to find ways to support students  to be the leaders and to find connections in social media to learn more.  For an example an expert working in the Mekong Delta here would be a great person to get info from for your Gr9 Ecology Science project.  Currently I'm bringing the positive role of social media to our seniors in high school as they apply to university so that we can document all the great things they have done in HS.  there were some great follow up questions and now I am working through each student to help them out.  I try to use SM as a connector of real people to share your ideas and to use as teachers.  Twitter and GSuite have taught me that I don't have to be in the same room, school board or country to learn from you!

aking

I just love the idea that they're documenting their learning in social media.  Is there any way I can get a peek at that?

Most of the kids are using SM to document their learning around their IB CAS program. I will ask a few IB students if I can share their link.

The Grade 8s have started using a portfolio on new Google Sites. 

Here's the slide deck we shared with the Grade 12 kids. We plan to use a similar slide show with staff bit.ly/digcitcis  you are welcome to take a peek at it

Have you seen the updated OCT Advisory for SM and teachers? 

Here it is ProfAdvSocMediaENPRINT.pdf - Google Drive

We are planning to do a workshop for teachers too about their professional online presence.

aking

Hi Melissa,

Thanks very much for sharing so readily.  I really like the intention of your slideshow and I see immediately how it will create important 'just-in-time' discussions about the use of social media with your senior students who are ready to graduate.  I wonder if this messaging will add to their stress, or if some of them will feel confident that they have a portfolio ready to go.  As jencassatodd points out in her book, this shifting culture from fear to leadership is long overdue.  In another book club Book Club: It's Complicated: The Social Lives of Networked Teens we read about how students move their use of social media underground when they're not allowed to do it at school. As such, I think teachers will continue to use social media 'underground' if they're not encouraged to do it in a positive way by the Ontario College of Teachers.  Wouldn't it be nice if there was a whole province hashtag that OCT participated in?  I think we also need to recognize that through social media that new models of leadership are rising up that seem to challenge the hierarchies in the education system, but are really, I think, about feeling that the teachers' voice is heard.  I hope all of us continue to use social media intentionally towards creating a portfolio of excellence in online places.  Imagine if OCT ran workshops about how to help teachers improve their own digital portfolios?  That would be leadership.

jencassatodd

Hi Melissa and Alanna,

I have been sharing with students about developing on online presence and you are right that there can be a level of stress that kids feel when I don't do it quite right. One of the main questions I ask is, "How can we be ourselves online while creating an online presence that will be amenable to recruiters or employers." I show them some of the examples of student digital leadership and I show them examples of things I have noticed where students choose to make a positive influence on others. I think if we can make them aware and give them strategies to at least be mindful of who they are following, who they might follow, and how contributing in these spaces can be of value, I feel like this can only be a good thing.

jencassatodd

I looked at the advisory only briefly before and your link made me pause and really delve into the document. For anyone not already online being a professional, I can see how this might scare them away. This is incredibly disappointing. I can see that OCT would come from a place where they have seen teachers being unprofessional online, but it really doesn't balance their stance with the value of being online with students. Thanks for sharing.

aking

...and at the same time while the tone is definitely cautionary, I think it is progressing towards the digital leadership model that would be idea.  In other words, it has come leaps and bounds from the 'NO!' messaging that OCT first developed in social media 10 years ago. 

mister_pamayah

We just had a staff meeting where our staff was urged and cautioned by our administration to read this new document.  Like aking, I see it moving toward a positive model but the language that deters teachers from using social media is still there.  I hope that as we strive for showing our students the positive impact of social media, we can also strive to showcase the positive impact with teachers, administration and OCT.

mister_pamayah

It's hard to believe that we are nearing the end of the book club.  Please add  final thoughts to any of the discussions that interested you.  If you were following along it's not too late.  And definitely add your ideas to the final reflection before that book club ends on December 14.  Here is a direct link: https://www.teachontario.ca/message/19918