8 Replies Latest reply on 15-Nov-2017 7:14 PM by aking

Week Two: Discussion #1

teachontario.team

Select one of the characteristics of digital leadership and share how it resonates with you and your experiences with social media?

• Re: Week Two: Discussion #1
          marco.belvedere@ycdsb.ca

I've connected with countless educators.  The greatest connection I made was during my son's karate class.  I was scrolling through twitter (and not watching my son...I know) and saw a teacher I follow (Mr.Jonathon So from PDSB) discuss how he made an entire mathematics lesson based on their students' obsession with bottle flipping.  I joined the twitter conversation along with a couple of other teachers during that Saturday morning.  We shared ideas/resources and I had a plan to use it with my students on Halloween day. It went down without a hitch.  The students worked and were engaged for the entire morning, and stayed in during recess as well.  I tweeted out some of the student work that day. The idea started to spread as the teachers from my district who follow me on twitter contacted me because they wanted their students to participate as well.

That is the benefit of being connected....it means teachers giving ourselves the freedom to be creative, to look outside the usual texts / activities that we normally use to deliver the curriculum and to make it relevant  for the group that is front of us at this moment.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              mister_pamayah

I remember this going viral last year and think it's so adaptable of teachers to approach this fad in such an effective and useful way.  I saw this happen again last spring with fidget spinners and how instead of getting frustrated, teachers used it to create engagement for teaching math probability. Social media allows us to connect and connect in a time-support way.  Responses to queries can almost be immediate.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  aking

What I really like about your response to the discussion prompt, marco.belvedere@ycdsb.ca is that like you, the connections I make in online and physical spaces, push me to my next level. Besides the digital connections that I make through Twitter, my Blog and of course, TeachOntario, I also try to go face-to-face to as many unique education events that I can each year, often self-funding my travel.  One that I went to recently, involves your beloved Ontario teacher, Johnathan So, who presented a Ted Talk at TedXKitchener.  Have you seen it?  Here it is:

https://youtu.be/iK1EmMg95tI

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    leah.kearney

Hey everyone, I just had an example of this very phenomenon this morning. The other night, I went to see the film Loving Vincent which was outstanding. Yesterday, I learned that Google Arts and Culture have high resolution images of all of his works which allowed me to look at the individual brush strokes. This information came to me from a teacher in Guelph. This morning on Twitter one of my Kindergarten friends from Windsor shared a Starry Night provocation that she had designed for her youngsters and I was able to point her in the direction of the Google resource http://bit.ly/2wx6RKv Wow! The speed at which these connections are made is incredible and energising.

mister_pamayah

I totally agree.  Social media helps the speed of connecting with other professionals...even to the point of giving us what we need before we think we need it.  It's a great resource for lessons, activities and finding information.

One of the downfalls I often wonder about is the depth of information. Does anyone have examples of comprehensive and in-depth connections and resource sharing?

aking

Good question for reflection, Darren!  I think often that someone will point something out to me and it makes me go even deeper.  I entered the Twittersphere in 2009 and it was because of a face-to-face beginning.  From there in 2011, connected to no one that I know, I volunteered to join this education unconference in Algonquin Park called Unplug'd...which was a writing retreat for teachers who are connected.  The 3 days we spent together fundamentally changed who I am as an educator.  Here's my favourite blog post after the experience: The Clever Sheep: UnPlug'd11 Wasn't Perfect, It Was Real

And from there I've tracked this learning so well, and reached out to these people again and again.  Simlilarly when I did my M.Ed. completely online through the University of Alberta, I've stayed in touch with these people with the same professional interest and I rely on them again and again to help me move to my next level. For amny of these relationships, I've never met my people.  I had the opportunity to work twith Trevor Mackenzie last year doing a book club, and we've kep t in touch and he continues to send me resources that I think are professionally impactful.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            aking

That is cool!  Maybe it was the ghost of Van Gogh working through the interwebs to help you get more connected to his work!