11 Replies Latest reply on 7-Dec-2017 12:51 PM by mister_pamayah

Week One: Task #3 Discussion

teachontario.team

Task #3

What does your online identity say about you? Any surprises? How do you differentiate your personal online identity with your professional online identity?

• Re: Week One: Task #3 Discussion
          johannalawler

I just spent a few minutes Googling myself....  both Johanna Lawler and Johanna Gibson-Lawler...  This activity actually made me smile.  Lots of workshops, presentations, conferences, affiliations, memberships, and some on-line work such as, Prezi, Twitter, etc. 

I don't believe as a teacher that you can actually differentiate your personal with your professional online identity.  I think that our profession demands this.  I would also argue that ETFO recently came out with a strongly worded advisement for their members about this.  Being a teacher means that you must never turn that off.  Of course, I post innocuous items on Twitter or Facebook every once in awhile, but I think for the most part, my online presence steers more to a professional identity and that only.

That being said, I imagine that this isn't the case for our students.  They are growing up in a world where they are creating an identity online before entering the work world.  This will be a question to ask of students ....  

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              aking

I'm intrigued by your last point there, Johanna, as you're absolutely right.  If we were to be evaluated on how we ride a bicycle, we wouldn't want to show people the part in which we're still using training wheels, only the best and shiniest examples! As you say, students are online now before they understand the impact of those earlier posts.

I have different spheres of social media for different audiences.  I don't really think that my family are following my Twitter-self, but we're all over Facebook together.   But if I can't be authentic in all areas of my life, then what value does social media have?  I worry that we're perpetuating a) the echo chamber effect and b) the notion that every selfie has to be a happy one.  I was reprimanded for posting on Facebook that I'd had a bad day at work. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  mister_pamayah

Alanna I can relate to your authenticity dilemma. That was one of the reasons I closed my personal twitter and only use my twitter for work and professional development.  It's hard to juggle and I would often cross post and made the mistake of posting in the wrong account. I also find myself overthinking facebook posts, to the point where I decide not to post. Social media causes me to think about my public persona and what the types of things I share or like, say about the person that I am. I don't look at social media as a students does, but as an adult who can think about the consequences. Is it as fun or authentic? Probably not but I feel like I'm in control and it's a positive influence.

mister_pamayah

Glad to hear there were no skeletons in your closet.... I think as teachers we have the benefit of being warned by our districts, unions and OCT to always consider your reputation. I would say that most of my colleagues function on the cautious side.  For example, staying about from facebook and only using twitter in a professional way.

Jennifer helped me realized through Social Leadia that in 2017 people do need an online reputation and it can be positive.  Our students are going to be googled for applications, both for school and work. Johanna your professional reputation online is an example of this.  You ask such an important question though: How do we get them to consider this online reputation when they are younger and before they understand the impact of their online slip and falls?

leah.kearney

Hi Johanna, to your point about our social media presence as educators...having just left a position at York University, my students came to me with fully formed social media lives developed long before they thought about applying to the Faculty of Education and having a professional online identity. We had to have some very frank conversations about the optics of our decisions.

aking

Hi Leah,

I would love to hear more about the frank conversations you had.  Were students resistant to analyzing their own online identities?  In Ontario with our Ministry of Education being separated from the Ministry of College and Universities I think we struggle to have the conversations and continuity we need to about student trajectories.  I know that OSLA (Ontario School Library Assocation) has struggled with this, for sure. 

mister_pamayah

I find that even elementary students are savvy to 'online identities' They have youtube channels and online profile through video games like minecraft. Often when I ask students what they want to be when they group up a common response is "Youtube Sensation".

Jennifer has many positive vignettes on students with a positive online identity.  For example Yumi Lee and Curran Dee.

The challenge for us is to educate students about creating a positive online presence earlier.

anneshillolo

My online identity is very professionally-oriented. I originally thought I would use Twitter for work and FB for family and friends, but this never worked. The two are blended. It was too hard not to friend teachers on FB when we are already, er, friends:) I find I post most often on Twitter and then it auto posts to FB. Now that I think about it, I think my FB group is actually more diverse because friends were originally: high school friends, neighbours, teachers and colleagues, book club members, relatives, etc. My Twitter group tends to be more education, tech and news oriented. I don’t distinguish between personal and professional. This means that my non-teaching friends get quite a bit of educational and tech posts but I think it’s good for them:)

Wow! I was surprised that when I Googled my name the only correct hit was with my library website. I suppose that the library website is a positive hit but I do not have any other online presence. When I think of this I realize that my Twitter name is not under my name but my library's. My Facebook and Instagram accounts are private and I do not have an online blog. I was always very conscious to keep a quiet digital footprint as our Union recommended this and I was always taught that this is the best way. I am now realizing that it appears that I do not contribute to education or act as a digital leader. I will have to change this! Great personal check up.

mister_pamayah

It's hard to believe that we are nearing the end of the book club.  Please add  final thoughts to any of the discussions that interested you.  If you were following along it's not too late.  And definitely add your ideas to the final reflection before that book club ends on December 14.  Here is a direct link: https://www.teachontario.ca/message/19918