50 Replies Latest reply on 8-Dec-2017 1:33 PM by mister_pamayah

Social Leadia: Book Club Introductions

teachontario.team

Whether you have started reading or not take a few minutes to introduce yourself. Use the introduction discussion to tell us about yourself and what you hope to learn in this book club. Here are some points to cover in your introduction:

• Your name, school and teaching position.
      • Describe your online presence. What social media tools do you use?
      • What would be your end goal of this book study? What do you want to take away?
        • Re: Social Leadia: Book Club Introductions
          mister_pamayah

My name is Darren.  I will be your book club facilitator for Social Leadia.  I am a teacher-librarian with York Region District School Board at Herbert H. Carnegie Public School. I am also a councilor with Ontario School Library Association.

In terms of the social media tools that I use, my main focus has been with twitter.  I have used facebook, instagram and twitter for personal use but in 2015, while taking my Librarianship Part 2 course, I was challenged to think about the professional development implications of having a twitter account that I use mainly for work.  It is in this @mister_library account that I share current practices, ‘retweet’ ideas I believe in and ‘like’ ideas I plan to try.  It has been a positive influence on my practice and has greatly influenced the effectiveness of the library space I work in.

Many of the ideas that Jennifer shares in Social Leadia resonated with me and I immediately found practical implications for using the book with my students and staff.  I’m looking forward to learning with you all and appreciate the insights and experiences you will share.  I’m hoping to take away many more practical ideas. 

jencassatodd

Thanks for leading this, Darren. Looking forward to the discussions and the learning.

aking

Greetings and salutations, friends (new and old),

My name is Alanna King, and I am 5/6 teacher-librarian at a large secondary school in Upper Grand DSB and 1/6 eLearning English teacher to students across the province.  I'm passionate about shifting school cultures to embrace online communities. I'm really into Twitter and I have a love affair for most online collaborative curation tools and my current favourites are Scoop.It and Flipboard.  I'm trying to use Instagram, but I just don't speak in pictures yet the way my husband tk1ng does.   In my mind, Social LEADia is a push to build participatory cultures in our schools and that makes me really excited.  In my secondary lens, I feel myself constantly shouting "take off the training wheels!" as I worry that protecting our children behind a 'walled garden' doesn't allow for the authenticity of online interactions to take place.  What I want to get out of this book club is how to convince more teachers to try social media in their classrooms and to build online student leaders in my school.

mister_pamayah

Welcome Alanna,

I'm glad you can join us and share about your experience with online communities. With apps and online tools changing and progressing so much I often find that it's hard to stay up-to-date with what is working.  I'd love to know more about the curation tools you use and how you use them.  I'm excited about what you will bring to this book club.

aking

Hi Darren,

Thanks for doing this and for making a space happen for these awesome colllaborations.  I'm really looking forward to learning from you and Jennifer.  This year I've been trying out Flipboard, Evernote, and Scoop.It in the everlasting quest to embed social tools in my school library website.  I want the tools to be cloud-based, collaborative and social!  Since we're a Google Apps for Education (GAFE) board, I use a Google site for my school library website but suddenly it's not allowing me to embed iFrames.  That's so frustrating!  So the way it looks now is just a bunch of hyperlinks.  It still gets the job done but it's not very visually appealling. I want to curate collaboratively with staff and students....I want to flatten that hierarchy and allow students to have a voice, but it's challenging to entice them when it's not beautiful. 

Ideas?  Suggestions?  Someone suggested that Wix might be able to do it, but that's a lot of work to move everything outside of the Google kingdom.  I just want to be confident in that decision before I take the leap and put all that work back in again.

mister_pamayah

I have never been a huge fan of Google sites for some of the reasons you mentioned.  Functionality and appearance are large factors of how students use websites. For many of my elementary students they compare websites to the games websites they use, which are usually graphic and video focused. I have heard great things about Wix and looked closely at some of the fantastic tools you can use there.  My personal favourite has been weebly, which I have used for about 4 years. theacespace.weebly.com A lot of it is drag and drop tools it's easy to edit. I use the free account and haven't paid for the upgrade but if my students just search theacespace, it comes up first in google. I can also check the stats for how and when they use it.

jencassatodd

Before you move everything, maybe consider using Google Draw to create buttons. I too was super frustrated with how my website looked and so I created buttons with one word on it including a feedback button where I encourage them to suggest a book or an idea. I can't share the link because ironically, we were told it had to be password protected, but here is a screenshot of two pages. It's definitely a work in progress, and I don't love that Google Sites is so limited right now either.Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 9.50.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 9.52.06 PM.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Hi Alanna,

Very excited to see you here and looking forward to learning with you. I hope we do get at strategies for moving others through our discussions here as well. Jen

leah.kearney

Hi everyone, my name is Leah Kearney and I am an Instructional Liaison here at TVO on secondment from TDSB. I am so excited about the discussions that will take place over the next month in the book club. When I was reading Social LEADia I bookmarked so many sentences of the book that I wanted to revisit and ponder. This book club gives us a chance to do just that!

jencassatodd

Hello,

I'm Jennifer Casa-Todd and I am currently the Teacher-Librarian at Cardinal Carter CHS in Aurora. Prior to this role I was a Literacy Consultant and a Program Resource teacher for Literacy (7-12). Before that, I taught high school English, Special Education, Religious Education, Cooperative Education, and ESL. I have been teaching for 23 years!!

If you would have Googled me 6 years ago, you would have seen Rate My Teacher come up as the #1 result. Today, you can see me reflect on my learning at jcasatodd.com; share resources ideas & information on Twitter (@JCasaTodd), discuss a variety of subjects in my Edumatch Voxer group; and contribute ideas to the Social LEADia page on Facebook. I also use Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat to connect with friends and family. Using social media has been transformative for me. I had always felt a little bit like an outlier; no one got as excited as I did about learning or assessment or curriculum. On Twitter and on Voxer, in particular, I found a PLF (Personal Learning Family) with whom I could learn and grow and share.

As an author it was extremely difficult to send a FINAL draft to the editor because I continue to meet inspirational educators and students who are leveraging social media for good. I hope to continue the conversations I started in the book and to connect with more people, ideas and examples upon which I can help to shine a light. I look forward to courageous conversations here knowing that we may disagree with ideas, but that we are all interested in doing what's best for kids today.

Jen

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                              johannalawler

Hello, my name is Johanna Gibson-Lawler and I'm a full time Teacher Librarian at Talbot Trail PS with the Greater Essex County District School Board.  I have been teaching for 19 years and all of those years have been in the Learning Commons.  I'm a fellow OSLA Councilor, along with Darren, where I represent the Southwest Region.  I also serve as the Chair for the ETFO Library Standing Committee.  For the last 10 years or so, I have jumped between the role of a TL and the role of a Learning Commons Instructional Coach where I worked with TLs around our Board to build capacity. 

The social media tools that I use are Twitter (@lawler), FaceBook, and Instagram (occasionally).

I have been teaching students the concept of digital citizenship for years now....  I've come to realize that while I encourage students to use social media, I perhaps use scare tactics more than anything else.  Anyone else use Cybercops and Air Dogs from Mirror Image? Locally last year we had an interesting case of a young man who was in trouble with the law for communicating with young girls in a sexually suggestive manner.  I used this with students as more of a case study and a lesson in what not to do.  I really like the idea of empowering students to use social media in a leadership capacity.  I'm hoping to broaden my repertoire and change up my teaching practice after reading this book.  I'm loving the practical examples along the way! 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                nobleknits2

Hi, I'm Lisa Noble. I'm @nobleknits2 on Twitter, which is definitely the platform where I am most active, though I am becoming more active on Instagram and have started using Facebook more professionally recently (Lisa Kowaltschuk Noble) rather than just for family.

I am in my 25th year of teaching, and currently enjoying a 4 over 5 year. I have taught all grades from K-8, Core French from 4-8, instrumental music, and am now, happily a 7/8 teacher.

Twitter has helped me, like Jennifer, create a professional learning family, and hugely expanded my horizons of learning. Sharing and modeling those positive experiences with my students is key.

marco.belvedere@ycdsb.ca

Hello all,

I'm Marco Belvedere and I'm the K-8 Consultant at the York Catholic District School Board. (and I'm a friend of Jennifer:)

I've taught Gr 3-8, been a program resource teacher, and just finished my 2nd month as a consultant.

The social media tools that I use are Twitter (@marcobelv) for professional purposes.  I use Facebook as my personal platform, and even then I'm very conscious of what I 'like" or "share" . Sometimes I feel like I'm pressured to like or retweet/share, but don't I don't want that to come across as a validation / endorsement, so that thought process is always in the back of my mind.

Twitter has helped me greatly in connecting to a Professional Learning Network within my district and abroad.  I can't begin to tell you how many ideas or thought provocations come from the people I follow.

I want to learn how to incorporate the technology for the growth of the student.  I always seem to look at it from a pedagogical point of view because many times my focus is on curriculum and achievement.  I should also keep into consideration what kind of adult this young person will eventually become, and that's lost with my work sometimes.

mjensen@scdsb.on.ca

Hello friends and soon to be friends!

My name is Melissa Jensen and I am the Teacher-Librarian at the Canadian International School in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. My husband and I moved here in July (for 2 years) and we are enjoying the experience!  I am the Teacher-Librarian for approximately 400 grade 7-12 students in a K-12 school of approximately 1000 students.  All of our teachers are OCT qualified and we teach the Ontario Curriculum.  There is a library tech and another TL for the K-6 students (who is on leave from the TDSB). I am in my 26th year of teaching and I have been a TL for 16 of those years! I am on leave from the SCDSB and will return to live in Barrie, Ontario when this posting is finished.  I am the past OSLA Council President (I gave it up to move here!) and I loved my 5+ years as a volunteer on council   Hello mister_pamayah and johannalawler!

You can mostly find me on Twitter @mjtlbarrie 

and

FB- our travel blog  and I follow the Future Ready Librarians and the Int'l School Library Connection

I am part of a PLC around Digital Citizenship here with the Guidance and History Teacher because I feel that the students need to develop a positive digital presence, especially before they apply to university or college.  Most of my students are Vietnamese or Korean and plan to attend post secondary in Australia, US or Canada.  I want to get the students creating a positive presence in grade 7 and 8 and then fine tune it so they have a great portfolio for post secondary applications.  I also hope that I can help the teachers here to build their professional presence online too as many will be returning to the Ontario job market and I think that is an important piece of any interview process. 

anneshillolo

Hi everyone, I'm Anne Shillolo and I am a TELT Contact and program coordinator for Near North DSB. I had the amazing good fortune to have attended the epic "First Will Richardson" OTF workshop quite a few years ago and ever since then I have been an avid Twitter user. During those first years my online PLN became my main source of PD and also provided social interaction with like-minded educators, reducing the isolation I felt in a small rural board. Times change! Lots of my local colleagues are now Twitter users! George Couros was a major influence on educators in our board last year, through his visits. However... I would say that bringing the knowledge and values in the book to a broader local audience is important to me. I am also exploring resources that link classroom management, technology, and digital citizenship, due to high demand from our teachers.

mister_pamayah

Hi Anne.  Welcome to our Book Club.

I can appreciate how online professional learning networks have met the needs of educators who can't meet regularly face-to-face for professional development.  They are a great place to collaborate, share, encourage and build camaraderie. This doesn't just happen because of geographic location as educators can feel isolated for various reasons.  Job specialization and those with specific roles in schools and boards is another example.  Hopefully this online book club will bring us together.

Hi Anne, Great to meet you in this space. I too have been influenced by the thinking of Will and George (pretty obvious in the book). I think that you raise important ideas and that is, how to meld the practical and theoretical. Many teachers feel it is easier to ban devices than have to deal with the possible implications of bringing them in. Others, don't know how to. I hope to explore this together with you as I notice many of the same challenges here.

aking

Hi Anne, Fascinating!  I have often thought that you and I are on the same trajectory professionally, looking at your work.  What has it been like moving from the library into the TELT position?  Are you mostly working with staff or students?  Is it like being a librarian for promoting collaboration only with more staff/students?  Are you travelling?  Looking forward to learning with you once again.

jlongthorne

Hi everyone!

My name is Jess Longthorne and I am a teacher librarian in SCDSB. I am an avid user of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and have also dabbled in Snapchat.

I use Twitter as a way to connect with others professionally. Like Melissa, a majority of my professional learning as come from this social platform.

In my role as teacher librarian, I try to integrate various technology tools in collaborative lessons with students. During our SCDSB Read Aloud project, I have introduced students to Padlet, Popplet, Google Apps, Flipgrid, Skitch, Google Hangout and Adobe Spark. I also take the opportunity during these lessons to build on digital literacy and citizenship and work with students to become positive digital citizens while on-line. This year, I have taught a lessons to students as young as grade 2 around what it means to be a good digital citizen.

Looking forward to chatting with all of you....and beyond!

Jess

Hello everyone!

I am the teacher-librarian at Moira Secondary School in Belleville, ON in the HPEDSB board. I am passionate about teaching digital citizenship and was so excited when I found this course. I just ordered the book today so I am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

I have been mainly focusing on building a Makerspace within the library and after a couple of years I can say it is finally running strong, so now its time to shift my focus back to building digital safety and leadership amongst students. I love social media but I understand the pitfalls with it. I just finished teaching a lesson on practicing mindfulness as technology (cellphones) does create stress and anxiety amongst students and I wanted to give them some strategies to cope. I think we need to help students with the digital world even more now than ever so I am hoping to develop more strategies through this course. I personally use Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, although I mostly use twitter for professional purposes only. you can find me @moiralibrary1.

I look forward to diving in and learning with you all!

Karen

dawntelfer

Dawn Telfer here! Feeling a bit guilty about taking so long to get started but very much looking forward to this book club.

I am a Teacher Librarian and French Immersion Educator currently working as Learning Technologies and Library Learning Commons coordinator for TVDSB (Thames Valley).  My position allows me to support the Teacher Librarians at the 159 schools in our district (both Elementary and Secondary). 

Twitter is my Social Media tool of choice for my professional life (and Facebook for personal).  The connections that social media allows you to make with educators outside of your own district is amazing!  There are many who have already introduced themselves here that are part of my PLN (both virtually and IRL).

I joined this book club so that I could connect with others while diving deeper into one of my current favourite reads.  Plus, being part of a book club means I must set aside time to read

mister_pamayah

It's hard to believe that we are nearing the end of the book club.  Please add  final thoughts to any of the discussions that interested you.  If you were following along it's not too late.  And definitely add your ideas to the final reflection before that book club ends on December 14.  Here is a direct link: Week Four: Final Reflections