14 Replies Latest reply on 17-Aug-2017 12:55 PM by adebisi

Module Two Minds On Discussion

teachontario.team

Minds On Discussion:

Which minds on activity did you try? How might these activities engage and support students when making inferences? How might these activities support reluctant writers?

• Re: Module Two Minds On Discussion
          angelo

I love the creativity behind both activities! I tried the "Full Out Visual Activity." The first word I chose for the AnswerGarden task was "modern" but if I had the chance I would change the word to "safety" because after watching the video I learned how the mask "hugged the face" to protect the player. These activities are really great for engaging and supporting students when making inferences because they are very open-ended and fun! So many ways students can make inferences and predictions. I can see students enjoying building inferring words with the Lego/Duplo because it is very hands-on, unique, and students could make both the word building and block building their own.

I think that it is the hands-on and open ended nature of the activities that would support and entice reluctant writers. This activity was great and shows how the whole classroom is a makerspace not just one particular centre. For example, the word building activity could take place in the writing area/centre or art area/centre or even outside during outdoor play! So many possibilities! The TinkerCad activity can take place anywhere with a computer or an iPad and WiFi access. It also shows how making integrates all subject areas. The activity I chose to share was a mask I made using TinkerCad. As a Kindergarten teacher, you will see that the goalie mask is very Kindergarten inspired. I hope that it is safe that the eyes are not exposed, but have transparent coverings so that the player could still see but have their eyes covered. There are some curves on both sides to protect the eyes a bit more.

sandrahayden

I chose the Goalie Mask. To me the mask represents fear. I would be very fearful behind the mask, waiting for the puck to come  my way. A mask usually represents the unknown, the unknown is often fearful for many people.  I would change my word after watching the movie to inventive. The goalie mask has truly come through a revolution. I like the idea of the first task, but did not have the time to try it, so choosing the second activity made more sense.

monika

Awesome making inference activities. I like the use of duplo /legoblocks, very engaging, hands on, where students can enjoy playing with blocks and work on making words and then eventually sentence structure.

This activity will support reluctant writers or perfectionist students who are stuck at just coping the word correctly, as it will be there in front of them. This activity also leads to topic oriented oral discussion.

I chose the MASK

I looked out my window, noticed the leaves changing colours on the tip of the maple trees. Then looked at the mask clip and the word spooky came to my mind. Well after listening to the video clip and reading the chapter, my word would be either precaution, safety or evolution.

Thinking about my grade ones, visuals are very powerful. More words on a paper or on a screen block the reluctant writers, this is what I have realized. This activity is a great mental set and leads into a great lesson.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  mulcasterm

I'm so glad you enjoyed them! I'm actually quite pleased with all the responses - I'm learning so much from your experiences that I wouldn't have considered before. Your statement More words on a paper or on a screen block the reluctant writers, this is what I have realized. really resonated with me - and I think is true for a lot of our students. Text is increasingly more visual and is the way the world communicates.

monika

Thank you Melanie and Angelo.

Learning and looking forward to read more about Makerspace.

Text is increasingly more visual and is the way the world communicates - Takes our primary students away from their understanding of the concepts (especially our ELL`s or fun loving 6 years olds).

Model, model and model.

Rather give them a simple inquiry question/ just a word/ a visual/ sentence starter, and they take it from their.

angelo

HI Monika,

Your statement "Visuals are very powerful. More words on a paper or on a screen block the reluctant writers" is so true! This is something that we as educators should keep in mind when trying to reach our reluctant writers. Thank you for your post.

Take care, Angelo

mattlet2002

I did the Full Out activity and the word that came to my mind was "fear".  To me, there could be a great discussion about the difference between fear and safety.  I liked how the video discussed that even with these first masks, goalies were reluctant to change their style of play.  It wasn't until the introduction of better masks that goalies were more comfortable dropping to ice level to block a shot.

Both activities have me thinking about quality vs quantity.  You have the student who needs to write a lot in order to somehow get the right answer.  You have the other student who writes less, but the message is clear and to the point.  Reluctant writers don't need to worry about writing a significant amount in order to show their understanding.

mrsnerino

I tried out both activities, and there were several elements that I thought would appeal to reluctant writers.  I also thought of some of the students with language disabilities with whom I've worked -- these would be fantastic options for any students who thrive on low floor, high ceiling, wide wall-type tasks  

The duplo sentence structure did a great job of introducing key vocabulary in a low-stress, hands on way.  It could see students really becoming involved in creating a more stable, 'safe' structure, and this would also help encourage a discussion of safety features.  You could easily make this task more complex by having students return to it later and justify their word choices.  So fun. 

The goalie mask activity was also really powerful.  I could see this working very well for students who tend to get overwhelmed with too much verbal/visual input.  It's also a nice change from what many teachers typically do -- instead of pushing for students to explain and to add detail, this task encourages intuitive thinking and then reflection as students are asked if their word would change based on what they've learned. 

adebisi

I tried both activities and liked them both. As I was doing the Lego activity I thought it would be a fun activity to do with my kindie students in September who are learning to write their names. Using a letter per block children can pick the blocks, help stick on the letters in their names and then build their names. Another activity can be mixed up sentences. Both activities can be done during conferences or at centres.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              mulcasterm

Lisa, I like your idea with the LEGO for names with your Kindies. I've also seen our teachers use rock with epoxied (is it Modge Podge?) letters...

adebisi

Thanks Melanie. Last year every student in my class had a rock with their name on it. They loved their rocks. Students learned to recognize their names, they checked in with their rocks, we used them for graphing, children used them to copy a friend's name; lots of stuff. At the end of the year they took their rocks home. I wrote the names with white sharpie and applied a few coats of a clear wood finish (had some in the basement). I like the idea of letters on rocks too.