19 Replies Latest reply on 17-Aug-2017 5:46 PM by adebisi

Module Three Reflect & Connect Discussion

teachontario.team

Take a picture of a project you created and post it to the module three discussion.

What did you like about this experience?

How would you modify, extend or use this experience for learners in the classroom?

Beyond curricular expectations, what other 21st century competencies do these activities build? What might you like to try next?

Please also consider sharing your work with the Fan brothers on Twitter! (Eric Fan @opifan64 & Terry Fan @igo2cairo). They love to see how their book inspires creativity and innovation!

We encourage you to read through the posts of your peers and to comment/contribute where you feel a connection.

• Re: Module Three Reflect & Connect Discussion
          angelo

I liked learning about the story of The Night Gardener and how the town was forever changed because of the Night Gardener’s kind actions. What a great and positive message about the effect that positive actions and kind messages could have on others. In this case, a whole town was turned from gray into colour. Very powerful stuff!

This experience could be modified in the classroom by providing students with some other loose parts in addition to the Lego pieces to make their topiaries. They could even add them to the Lego. Students could even use Tinkercad from our previous module to design their topiaries first and then build them with the Lego.

For all three options, origami, pixel art, and Lego, students could also write a small description of what they have created and why. Students could even reflect on what they would do differently if they tried to make another topiary. Twenty-first century competencies of designing and using technology to make meaning are promoted through these tasks. I would love to try this at school with the students. They would love this!

This is my topiary example. I used pixel art. I can see children of all ages loving this program!

Inline image

mattlet2002

Students have three very different ways to create their own topiaries - pixel art, Lego or Origami.  Given the push towards student choice, presenting three options to show their understanding means that all students can create something.  The innovation that these three options present also give us a 21st century approach for producing works of Visual Arts.  For students, it also encourages them to work at self-directed learning.  We can teach the basics of Origami and pixel art, but students need to explore these activities on their own to enhance the quality of the product.  I have been pushing for a 3-D printer for the school at some point and this book would provide an excellent starting point to using a printer to create our own topiaries.

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

mulcasterm

Hi Matt, I was dubious about how the origami would work with the K classes and it turned out ok (it wasn't disastrous -so that was something!). With a little modelling, most of them got it. And those who didn't just grabbed a pair of scissors and made their own. At first I was all "up in arms" about this - but then I realized that the students were doing exactly what they should. Using their voice and choice to make something unique of their own. It was perfect. Thanks for sharing.

monika

Attached is my experience of Pixel Art. I was thinking about our diverse students enjoying their summer (variety of leaves) and how we build a community (leaves on a tree) starting first week of September.

21st century competencies of collaboration, communication,critical thinking, create, global awareness along with the technology component are met while doing this task. Along with Scratch Jr., micro:bit, TinkerCad (with reading buddies), canva, I am going to definitely model and add Origami and Pixel Art to my Makerspace.

mrsnerino

Unknown.png

Oh, dear.  My little topiary looks bit sad all alone; I probably should have made her some friends.  I had fun making this first draft.  I noticed a few things that would add to the learning in the process.  First, each colour in the 8-bit art program has a code so that you can find it again, if needed. However, on my Mac, neither the colour or the brush size were saved, so I had to do some guessing, as you can see   I'm not sure that I'd let the students know about this beforehand -- I think it's something they would realize better through experience and experimentation. 

monika

Hey Christine, perfect example of makerspace in our classroom. This beautifully leads to our trouble shooting mini-lesson.

We just need to be a bit creative with our activities when these technical glitches come up, as they do arise. But this is the stage where our 21 st century learners will learn the most and will have deeper understanding of the number of tools on the screen and most of them are very comfortable with technology. During computer lab time with my grade ones, as the year passes by, I assign about 4 students as tech helpers or tech trouble shooters.

sofiel

We did quite a bit of work with this book in our Learning Commons this year. The Grade 1 class thought that the theme of the book was that art can make a place feel better.  They then went ahead and created their own topiaries using paper and popsicle sticks and put them all around the school for people to enjoy.   The Grade 1/2 class also worked with me in the Learning Commons and we created our own versions of a beautiful outdoor space, complete with topiaries.  This is a work in progress (more flowers at this point than anything else)!  I really loved the idea of using pixel art and would definitely give that a go next year. 

IMG_0528.JPG

adebisi

I enjoyed doing all of the activities and I LOVED the book. It reminded me of Jon Muth’s version of Stone Soup. With the Lego and Pixel Art, I took my inspiration from the gentleman in my topiary picture. I did not plan on making anything specific. I just played with colour and form. What I really like about Lego/blocks is that it allows children who may have no interest in painting or drawing to express themselves by creating sculpture. As does loose parts and beautiful stuff. Students can talk about their creation and write about it. With the origami, not only would I model but I would have cards with the instructions for children to follow. Pixel Art would be great to introduce my students to pointillism; they can even Light Bright. My students will love these activities! Thank you for all of these wonderful ideas!

pixel art.png

IMG_1487.jpg