7 Replies Latest reply on 21-Aug-2017 2:44 PM by mattlet2002

Module Ten Reflect & Connect Discussion

teachontario.team

Take a picture or upload a project you created and post it to the module six discussion. What did you like about this experience? How would you modify, extend or use this experience for learners in the classroom? Beyond curricular expectations, what other 21st century competencies do these activities build? What might you like to try next?

Be sure to share photos of your project! We encourage you to read through the posts of your peers and to comment/contribute where you feel a connection.

• Re: Module Ten Reflect & Connect Discussion
          mattlet2002

There are so many great activities you can do about Space.  I liked the Scratch activity to use the Canadarm.  It is helpful to students that the template was already ready for the students.  I would ask the students to find a way to put the shapes somewhere else.  Looking at the link, I also liked the Doodle for Google Canada.  My thinking right now is how to display these great creations because you can't put them on a bulletin board.  Coding is a goal for next year but I want parents to see the work displayed.  I also realized that coding lessons might be better served as many mini-lessons.  Have students explore and then teach when problems arise.

I also like the Squishy Circuit.  I made a constellation of the Great Dog (Canis Major).  Another great art activity!  This activity reminded me of my old Light Brite.  The combination of voltage and LED lights can be math as students figure out how many LEDs work with a 9V battery and being careful to not use too much voltage.  If I did this activity at school I would use black construction paper and white LED lights.  Looking at costs during this course and previous courses, it really can be relatively inexpensive to create a makerspace given the cost to buy a textbook.

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

mulcasterm

Hi Matt, I've heard people say that you can use modelling clay as the insulating dough instead of making your own. I know that every time I make the insulating dough from scratch it turns into mush...I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

I am hoping to run a "maker night" at our school this year where students and their parents come in for workshops. Perhaps have the students teach their parents? This is a way I'm hoping to address how parents can see some of their children's work.

mattlet2002

Thanks for running this course again!  I liked how many of the activities dealt with the presentation side of Makerspaces.  It is important that students learn the skills needed to present their information or creations - it ties in nicely with the Inquiry Model.  I think a key for me next year is to find which app or web tool works best with each class and have them use that one tool for multiple activities.  As was mentioned, students need to move beyond only experiencing these tools as an introductory activity.  Students need to learn from their mistakes from earlier tasks and apply them to new tasks.  For many students, the big issue they need to learn is not to use every available picture or text font because it is there.

As I think more about next year, these activities provide teachers with a wealth of information.  Many learning skills can be evaluated and the actual activities could help evaluate any subject from Math to Art.  It's how we choose to use them.  I like the idea of having a Parents Night.  I may try to think of something they could do during Curriculum Night. 

mrsnerino

I remember learning about the CanadArm in school, but it was through pencil and paper activities.  We had limited visuals available, and hands-on exploration was mostly left to science experiments, because that's just how things were.  I'm pretty sure my teachers were boundary-pushers at the time, too....I do remember a lot of experiential learning in my later grades.  I can't help but think of how much more involved and excited I would have been, though, if some of these activities and options had been available then.  To be able to actually see a video of the CanadArm in motion was really powerful, and exploring the math and computational thinking in these concepts would really help students develop deep understanding as opposed to simply engaging in 'neat stuff'. 

I'm currently trying out the Scratch tutorial, but I'm stretching myself by attempting it before reading through the instructions.  Since that might take awhile, (ha!) I thought I'd share some modifications that might be used.  Offering several different options for investigation is one way I've found to make sure that students are developing a true understanding of what they're exploring.  In the lesson plan, students are encouraged to write down their instructions first.  I'm thinking of some simple 'barrier' type games where students give instructions to move the arm to the docking station and then get to check if their directions have been specific enough.  Students could create simple replicas of the Canadarm, either virtually or  with block shapes, and then give instructions to friends to build the same structures.  Throughout, the emphasis would be on the use of specific terminology and positional language.