5 Replies Latest reply on 21-Aug-2017 4:39 PM by mulcasterm

Module Nine Reflect & Connect Discussion

teachontario.team

Let's Reflect & Connect

Take a picture or upload a project you created and post it to the module six discussion. What did you like about this experience? How would you modify, extend or use this experience for learners in the classroom? Beyond curricular expectations, what other 21st century competencies do these activities build? What might you like to try next?

Be sure to share photos of your project! We encourage you to read through the posts of your peers and to comment/contribute where you feel a connection.

• Re: Module Nine Reflect & Connect Discussion
          mattlet2002

I still have some work to do with the green screen.  The green screen allows students to transport themselves anywhere and enhance any assignment.  I like that Stikbot allows text which students can use to add content that connects to the curriculum.  This activity would work better in groups so students would have to develop collaboration skills.  Like me, they might struggle to remove any hint of green from the picture.  What all these activities have shown me is that students need time to produce the best quality.  Students also need reflection time to think about what went well and what needs improvement.  Students would also benefit from opportunities to use one app multiple times.  How could you use Stikbot, Cospace or Adobe Spark multiple times each year?  Also, how do we change our unit planning and assessment to accommodate these great activities that need time to complete?  This is especially an issue with the older grades.

IMG_0326.JPG

mulcasterm

I would have to agree re: time. I did most of these activities with students in 40 minute blocks. While it was great for exploration of the tools (I was just introducing at most points) ... there was often no follow up. How can this making meaningfully impact their learning?  Most times there was no follow up to my introduction and I would like to see these activities purposefully used as a medium for students to express and share their thinking. I want to  consistently move beyond the open exploration stage to critical making in our schools.

mrsnerino

While I was waiting for our invisible ink art to dry, I was thinking more about the difference between being invisible and feeling invisible.  School starts soon, and I wondered about those students who fly 'under the radar'.  Who am I not seeing?  And how can I make sure that everyone feels seen?  I thought about the Kindness Rocks project (www.kindnessrocks.com), and how I might include a project like that in our school to inspire kindness.  More importantly, I thought about how I could keep the lessons of the kindness rocks going all year, so that it wasn't just 'fun', but actually meaningful.