6 Replies Latest reply on 19-Aug-2017 3:34 PM by mrsnerino

Module Eight: Reflect & Connect Discussion

teachontario.team

Take a picture or upload a project you created and post it to the module eight discussion. What did you like about this experience? How would you modify, extend or use this experience for learners in the classroom? Beyond curricular expectations, what other 21st century competencies do these activities build? What might you like to try next?

Below, add to the making with Deep Roots: How Trees Sustain Our Planet discussion. Be sure to share photos of your project! We encourage you to read through the posts of your peers and to comment/contribute where you feel a connection.

• Re: Module Eight: Reflect & Connect Discussion
          mattlet2002

What I'm learning is that we spend lots of time getting students to learn facts and less time on presenting the information.  Maybe it's a product of our experience in limited choices to present our information - mine where essays or Bristol board displays.  I chose the virtual reality creator: CoSpaces.  I found it surprisingly easy to use.  Students might need to map out their ideas first before creating their VR world.  I had the relevant facts on display as you travel around.  The app allows you to explore the world with or without glasses.  You could create VR worlds about space or communities around the world.  I also think you need to limit how many or even tell students what graphics they can use and how many.  Some students might spend more time adding graphics at the expense of the activity.  Here is the link to my activity.  I think you need the app to run it: CoSpaces Edu :: Trees

angelo

I enjoyed learning about trees in this activity. I also liked having the time to use Adobe Spark more and try it out more. I would use this activity in the classroom when students need to share ideas. It would be nice if students could make videos of the creations they made in class. For example, they could make videos of their loose part, art, block centre, or writing creations, for example. They could document their learning journey by taking photos and videos on classroom i-Pads during the making process and then use that documentation to make videos. Lots of possibilities.

I like that a shareable link is one of the options provided. This makes sharing videos with parents really easy. I think that parents would love seeing the video creations that their children made. This is something we could put into practice in our school. We have used Adobe Spark to make graduation videos but did not even know that we could share them with parents. We could provide them with the link now and they could see the video anytime. The link to my video about trees is The Wonderful World of Trees

mrsnerino

Here's my Adobe Spark.  I really like this program because it does a lot of the 'pretty work' for you, which frees you up to focus on content and editorial choices.  This would be interesting to explore in the case of students who spend an hour on beautiful presentation, but then lack the content and understanding of the purpose of the assignment.  The pre-made templates also provide a 21st century design challenge.  For instance, if I could have changed the font size of my Spark, I would have made the "Sharing is Caring" portion smaller.  Did I choose the most appropriate format for my message?  What other formats might have worked?  If my message was for another audience, would I have chosen a different Spark?  There are some neat Media Literacy provocations here.  I also think that the limits imposed on the activity help to direct its focus in a more precise manner, without limiting creativity or individual expression.  You just need to be flexible.  I used to have the idea that Makerspaces were just a fad, or a buzzword....like a lot of flash and bang, with not a whole lot of substance?  But through this  course, I am learning how valuable it can be to consider the classroom as a 'space for making'.