5 Replies Latest reply on 19-Aug-2017 2:20 PM by mrsnerino

Module Seven Reflect & Connect Discussion

teachontario.team

Take a picture or upload a project you created and post it to the module seven discussion. What did you like about this experience? How would you modify, extend or use this experience for learners in the classroom? Beyond curricular expectations, what other 21st century competencies do these activities build? What might you like to try next?

Below, add to the making with If I Had a Gryphon discussion. Be sure to share photos of your project! We encourage you to read through the posts of your peers and to comment/contribute where you feel a connection.

• Re: Module Seven Reflect & Connect Discussion
          angelo

I liked learning all the different ways kids can make animals/virtual pets. I liked that some required technology and that some didn't and were hand-on as well. Who knew there were so many different ways of making animals! So fun!   I could see children having a lot of fun with these activities. This experience could be used in the classroom to show student knowledge of characters in known stories (i.e., if you could create the wolf from The Three Little Pigs what would he look like? Can you create your own Gingerbread Man?). Students could even practice creating their own unique characters for storytelling. What will they look like? Students could then write character descriptions and write about what they have created. I would like to try out these activities more and like that 21st century competencies of making, creating, and using your imagination are built.

This is Joey! I created him using The Secret Life of Pets Emoji Application. He was very fun to make!

mulcasterm

I wonder how these activities would support language acquisition and develop vocabulary as well?

angelo

Good question Melanie! Maybe students could describe what they see as part of a "See, Think, Wonder" small group or whole group activity? Class creations could be printed out and passed around and students could share ideas if they would like to. Class creations could even be made into a class book and read during reading time. Students could describe what they see throughout the reading of the story. Could also be part of a discovery centre with magnifying glasses for students to closely examine and then record their thoughts using an i-Pad or a teacher writing down what students share.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      mrsnerino

I think these ideas would all be very powerful for language development!  I find that the "See, Think, Wonder" structure provides the kind of open predictability that many students thrive on when working on grammar and language.  I wonder if the creations could also be used in an oral language group like Carmel Crevola suggests -- students are shown a picture, everyone talks about it, the adult writes down word-for-word what each student says as a concluding activity and then that sentence strip is used during the next day's oral language work.  Students read back 'their' strip, etc. 

mrsnerino

secretlifeofpets.png

Here's my petMOJI.  It was quick and fun to create, and I think that this is important for student engagement.  It's also quite easy to make changes, and to see those changes immediately reflected in the appearance of the character.  This is one of its most powerful qualities, I think.  I am lucky enough to work with several students who have autism or social challenges, and some of these students use scripting from movies to interact with others or to calm.  Using the petMOJI app could provide many opportunities to explore ad talk about feelings in a motivating and low-stress way.  For example, we could change the size of the eyes and see how that changes the emotion the pet is displaying -- happy, sad, confused, etc.  We could also use it to expand descriptive vocabulary and work on following directions:  "Make me a skinny, dark gray cat", for example.  I've done similar things with the Toca Kitchen apps