6 Replies Latest reply on 18-Aug-2017 9:55 AM by mulcasterm

Friend of Foe Reflection Discussion

teachontario.team

Take a picture or upload a project you created and post it to the module six discussion. What did you like about this experience? How would you modify, extend or use this experience for learners in the classroom? Beyond curricular expectations, what other 21st century competencies do these activities build? What might you like to try next?

Be sure to share photos of your project! We encourage you to read through the posts of your peers and to comment/contribute where you feel a connection.

• Re: Friend of Foe Reflection Discussion
          mattlet2002

Friend or Foe really makes students think about taking a position and finding facts to support it or challenge the other position.  I'm thinking about my students who would always say it is both - no you have to pick one.  The trading card app is new to me and I like how it has pre-created topics on each card.  You could have a discussion about which card format is best for the topic.  I tried Chatterpix before but this activity gave me more direction than just playing around with it.  I find I need a purpose to explore new apps or software.  Similar to Adobe Spark, it is easy to use.  I have a group of special needs students that could present topics using this app.

One issue I have right now is what technology to promote in our schools.  I have been using my iPad more this year than other courses I gave taken in the past.  But it has its limitations.  Do we promote iPads in our schools or do we keep using the desktop computers and laptops?IMG_0321.JPG

mulcasterm

It's funny you say that Matt - it is a bone of contention in our schools as well. A lot of our primary classes prefer the iPads and the junior/intermediate the Chromebooks. As technology becomes more ubiquitous across platforms (Web 2.0/Android/iOs) ... I am moving towards the Chromebook myself (as I'm getting into more physical computing), but can see the benefits for our primary classes who are not print ready. I guess it really boils down to the purpose of use?

angelo

I liked that there were many options available to try and that empathy for the 10 unpopular "friends and foes" was highlighted as well as the "flip side" of their actions. This was a 21st Century competency that I thought was promoted in this task. This is great for helping inform children as well as adults. An extension for this activity could be to use these programs to have students talk about friendship and what it means to be a good friend. This could be helpful for September as well as throughout the year as any issues may develop.

I would love to try incorporating more Adobe Spark and Chatterpix in my classroom. All 4 of our Kindergarten classes used Adobe Spark to make graduation videos and the kids recorded what they wanted to be when they grew up. We added their photos as well. They were all really cute and the students did a great job at sharing their ideas! ChatterPix is on our iPads and students like to use it.

mrsnerino

Adobe Spark.jpg

The making options provided in this course have been awesome.  This is definitely a huge area for further development for me, and I wasn't aware of many of the apps/web programs suggested. 

An activity like this would be amazing in an upper grades class.  I'm thinking of a French class, especially.  If the students were learning about culture and how to tell jokes, what people in Quebec find funny....this would be a neat way to show what they're learning.  I know several teachers who have their students watch French tv shows....there's even one similar to American Idol, called L'Air du Famille (I think!).