16 Replies Latest reply on 19-Aug-2017 10:34 AM by adebisi

Safety Stars Discussion

teachontario.team

Take a picture of a project you created and post it to the module two discussion. What did you like about this experience? How would you modify, extend or use this experience for learners in the classroom? Beyond curricular expectations, what other 21st century competencies do these activities build? What might you like to try next?

Be sure to share photos of your project! We encourage you to read through the posts of your peers and to comment/contribute where you feel a connection.

• Re: Safety Stars Discussion
          angelo

What I really liked about this experience was learning about so many different apps/programs out there which help learners to build and design. They are very accessible and easy to navigate. These activities could be modified in a Kindergarten class for example through modeling first and by even having older reading buddies involved. Reading buddies could help their partner to design on TinkerCad, Canva, or Sutori based on a book they have read together for example. Maybe there is an inquiry project they would like to explore together? This would be fun to explore in the future.

So many great possibilities with all of these great programs. I seem to keep saying this in all my posts so far but it is so true! Twenty-first Century competencies of teamwork, inquiry, and summarizing important facts (i.e., about he history of hockey in this case). in a creative manner are built through these activities. 

mrsnerino

I agree, Angelo.  I didn't know about a lot of these different programs/apps, and it's great to get a chance to play around with what's out there and read others' ideas about how they could support our work in the classroom.  My husband teaches grade 8, and a few times, I've informally paired my students with his to complete art/computer projects, like Warhol-inspired photos.   Because they take a good chunk of time and focus, I typically pull them together on snow days, when we have fewer students and more time...but it would be interesting to see how I could incorporate more activities like this into buddy time. 

angelo

Hi Christie,

I think that it will make buddy time more meaningful and provide students with richer learning opportunities. I agree with you too that it is so great to get this opportunity to play with and learn about these great programs/apps and read others' ideas. So wonderful!

Take care, Angelo

monika

certificate.png

Canva is neat to be used, also as Media Literacy. It`s fun to experiment a variety of Free clips.

I think for TinkerCad I will wait for my grade five buddies to have exploration time with my Grade Ones.

I haven`t tried Sutori yet. But will try it as we do timelines or story lines during the year.

It is fun to learn about all these apps add also to think about how they could be used in our program. When the school starts the days goes by just like

mrsnerino

Hi Monika,

Can you tell me a little bit more about how you use the grade 5 buddies?  You mentioned having the older students pair with your grade ones.  I think this could be a really great learning experience for everyone involved.  Do they just walk the students through a brief tutorial?  Do they help them problem-solve? 

Thanks,

C

monika

Hi Christine,

To introduce a new computer program usually we do a period of buddy computer lab time, where 5s and 1s explore, play, trouble shoot. We do an I-pad cart to sign out but I didn't find much success with it. I rather borrow I-pads from neighbouring classes to make a set of 20 and then buddies explore, create their work and talk about it. Hope it helps.

mattlet2002

Once again I liked how this activity gives students and us a different method to show our understanding beyond traditional ways of presenting knowledge.  This activity allows us to create one activity for all our students and this one activity can be modified depending on the student.  Other methods might involve us having to create multiple activities to meet the modification and accommodation needs of our students.

Two competencies I see are creativity and communication.

IMG_0309.JPG

mrsnerino

FullSizeRender.jpg

Here's what I came up with while playing with Canva -- I was trying to keep in mind what we discussed in a previous thread about the power of visual images and the negative effects that too much text on a page might have.  I could definitely see my students having fun with apps like Canva -- is there a school version that would let you add your own images? 

sofiel

I also tried canva and really enjoyed the simplicity of it.  I really love the idea of students using a program such as this which relies heavily on image and limited text because it really encourages students to dig into the text to find the main idea or theme . 

Jaques PlanteAdvocate For a New Safer Face of Hockey.png

adebisi

I really liked how quickly I was able to make my award using Canva. I think it can be a fun app to explore with our reading buddies. This activity promotes problem solving, collaboration and creativity.

plante.png