16 Replies Latest reply on 17-Jul-2017 3:33 PM by sunnyblonde

Module Eight Consolidation Thread

teachontario.team

Please post your thoughts on the video and the Makey Makey projects below...

• Re: Module Eight Consolidation Thread
          mattlet2002

Makey Makey seems to be the next step after learning coding because of its ability to design a controller or circuit to run a coded project.  I like how the school that created Scratch also played a role in creating the Makey Makey. The projects present students with hands on opportunities to plan, create and test controllers or instruments that support their coded projects.  I personally liked the piano staircase and the dance moves in the water containers.  There are connections between the Makey Makey creations and Music.  I also like the arduino component (my next thing to learn) which might be the next step after learning to code and using the Makey Makey as a controller. 

My first introduction to Makey Makey was last year and after watching how the presenter had his students use them I assumed that he had many of them in his classroom.  Surprisingly, he only had one that a class of 30 shared.  He just said that Makey Makey and coding need to be a year long activity which is important.  It can't be something that you only do for a few weeks each year with your students. 

angelo

All I can say is wow, wow, wow! I think I have heard of Makey Makey but I was not sure of what it was until watching this video. I have recently seen a lot of great things on Twitter regarding things teachers learned from a Maker Workshop held this week in Toronto and it seems very similar because they were using circuits and batteries to make objects move and work. So creative and rooted in student exploration and inquiry. So fun!

These Makey Makey Projects would definitely work in the classroom if they were created by the students themselves based on an interest or a need they have. This way they would have meaning and relevance.  I agree with you Matt that Makey Makey and coding are year round explorations. A way to dig deeper into coding and to extend the learning of coding for students is to have them try Makey Makey Projects.

christygarrity

My first impressions about Makey Makey were that it is a really fun device. I could easily picture a few of my students catching on to how this works and playing music all over the place. We have a standing joke about Banana Phones in our class, so now I’m sure we will have the banana piano as well. If we could actually use it to make a real banana telephone that would be so amazing. I could see them wanting to look closely at the wires and alligator clips to see what makes the whole thing work. We have a lot of science books that have pages with computer circuit boards and the insides of a computer, so I could see them wanting to learn more about circuits and how they work. It seems like a safe and fun way to test out circuits without getting electrocuted. My friends love to take things apart, so they set up a maker centre and they began to bring in old phones, tape recorders and cell phones etc. They recognized that the circuits all look similar. This is the unplugged version of Makey Makey….. Breaky Breaky? To have the opportunity to actually create instead of dismantling would be meaningful for all of us.

Originally, I thought that the main function of the Makey Makey was just the piano key board feature to show the open and closed circuits but with further investigations, there are so many more possibilities. The simple design is doable for all levels of ability. I realized that it can also be connected to Scratch to run a coded project too! That opens up many more possibilities. There are many examples on the internet to spark new ways to use it.  So…… I went and ordered one from Best Buy. I got the Makey On The Go too! I also saw that there was a coding program for my OSOMO, so I got that too. I guess I will be busy exploring all 3, for the rest of the Summer. That is, if I can get it away from my teenager and husband!

1 of 1 people found this helpful

You are limited only by your imagination it seems!  Wow...I so want a banana piano!!  Wouldn't that be an interesting addition to our musical instrument collection in Kindergarten?  I thought all of the applications were very interesting and could just imagine the Kindergarten children doing the water dance outside.  I am definitely ordering one for the classroom and can hardly wait to see what the children suggest for attachments. It was interesting to note that the alligator clips would not work attached to the clay, but would with play dough.  That in itself is a great inquiry.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  lkl88

I love Makey-Makey, or at least, what I know about it. I first saw these in action a couple of years ago at a Maker Fest. My first thoughts are that this would make a fantastic connection between electricity and coding, particularly for grade 6 where electricity is part of the science curriculum. I can see it appealing to wider ages as well though. I have not had the opportunity to work with it personally, and I am interested in how the outputs are programmed. I am also interested in the potential for it to work like an arduino as well as connect with Scratch coding. What I have seen in person doesn't go beyond basic circuit keyboards.

Even though these are versatile, they are still somewhat cost prohibitive for the average classroom. I wonder how the presenter Matt mentions manages the sharing of one for their class. I can see students wanting to keep (at least for a few days) the projects they make in order to share them beyond the classroom.

mrsnerino

This stuff is so cool!

I feel like this course is showing me just how much I don't know, and I have tons of new ideas and questions.  There are so many cool things to learn and do, and so many neat ways to engage kids (and adults!) in constructing their understanding. 

My question is -- how do I make sure, as I implement some of these strategies and tools, that they don't just become a series of 'fun' or 'interesting' activities?  I mean, it's not bad that they're fun and interesting -- it's incredible!  But how do I ensure that it's not just all a series of 'pretty lessons' with no cohesive, over-arching goals? 

mpetrella2

It’s incredible at just how many different projects come to life by using a Makey Makey.  The best part is that it seems so simple. Through the awesome videos I watched, I not only was amazed at what this device is capable but the overall excitement that the learners experienced whether young or old. I learned that this can be used at any age to support an inquiry approach. When tinkering with Makey Makey, this allows students to collaborate and take responsibility for their learning. Students are engaged in their learning developing their reasoning and problem solving skills. 

I learned that Makey Makey’s can be used to support many areas of the curriculum.  For example, Grade 6 science, design and build series of parallel circuits. Of course many other areas in the science department. The value of this device to support mathematical processes that are used to support all the strands in math.  Students can use this to create their own musical devices (vegetables, bananas, play doh etc.).  I’m excited to learn more about the hour of curiosity and how to apply it to the classes I will be visiting.

sunnyblonde

I really do like the makey makey piano et al.  This I can somewhat understand (vs the math in the previous module).  Although I cannot see using it in my classrooms, I can see how it would be a lot of fun to play with.  I will look into how much this costs as it might be fun for my students who are on the spectrum to play with in the resource room.