12 Replies Latest reply on 17-Jul-2017 3:21 PM by sunnyblonde

Module Six Consolidation Discussion

teachontario.team

Consolidation:

What did you like about this experience? How would you modify or use this experience for learners in the classroom? How can it be used to stimulate and engage learners across the curriculum?

Please post your thoughts below...

• Re: Module Six Consolidation Discussion
          angelo

What did you like about this experience? How would you modify or use this experience for learners in the classroom? How can it be used to stimulate and engage learners across the curriculum?

Please post your thoughts below...

I liked the open-ended nature of this experience and found it quite fun, engaging, and meaningful. I like how it is interactive and provides the participant with options and choice. I even liked the humour involved in having the cat think for a bit before providing the growing pattern answer!

I would use this experience to teach growing patterns and number relationships. Could also be used to teach If... then...  A similar experience in the classroom can be used to stimulate and engage learners across the curriculum because of the open-ended nature of it. Could be used in so many ways and for a variety of purposes. I think it would be very meaningful for students and they would enjoy this throughout the year.

This is a growing pattern project I made regarding planting seeds:

Doubling Plant Seeds on Scratch

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            mattlet2002

First of all this activity was a reminder that I need to work on remembering how to create equations.  I could recognize and verbalize the growing pattern, but needed to think about how to present the pattern in an equation.  This activity would be a wonderful task to show students' thinking and understanding about growing patterns and equations.  It could also be modified to higher grade levels with more challenging equations or adjusted to shrinking patterns.  Students would enjoy it because it would provide answers to a number of steps in a table.  Students could share their work and look inside to see how each handled the equation or find errors in the equation.  It would also be fun by adding sounds and sprites which would keep students on task.  My only concern would be ensuring that they did the necessary task first before adding all the bells and whistles.

My story: Growing Pattern on Scratch

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              christygarrity

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/168382236/

This experience showed how much math I actual forgot over the years. Variables and equations and the sensing and operation keys were a challenge. But I do have experience breaking down tasks into its simplest parts or forms. We do this in Kindergarten everyday. I must confess that I got so mixed up with this task and resorted to using Matt and Angelo’s growing patterns to help me create my own. Which was closely based on Angelo’s example. It did feel a but like cheating but I did learned so much and spent time trying new things and moving lots of blocks around and trying different variables and movements. For me to start from scratch, (pun intended), would have got me so frustrated that I would have gave up. But by the end I was more competent and confident. I can see how this can be a cross curricular activity. So many possibilities. I remember in one of the posts that someone mentioned using coding in finger knitting. Many of my K friends finger knit and we run a school knitting club. This would be great for them to code their pattern. For my K friends, I would keep it simple and work on moving the sprites and creating a scene and leave the data and operations until they become more familiar with the program. I am most inspired to create a coding club at my school. I am sure it will be of interest to many and I will probably end up learning more from my students.

lkl88

I chose a triangular growing pattern and then had to figure out how to do the equivalent of brackets in Scratch. I think this would be an interesting way to spiral that order of operations piece in the curriculum with older students. I do think though that I would practice on paper with a "robot" approach first so the students could practice with manipulatives and familiarize themselves with the concept first before adding the coding piece. I find that interesting, because for many other topics, were I using Scratch, I would likely invite students to explore with Scratch first.

I think I might worry that students could miss the math portion of the assignment and get sidetracked with the Scratch details on this one. Perhaps if they were drawing the answer using Scratch, it would make any discrepancies more obvious than just giving a numeric answer, but when I tried that, I didn't get far since it was going to take a lot of time to incorporate that much drawing in the code.

I finally made a new account, so it's here as well as attached:

growing pattern on Scratch

mpetrella2

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/168889816/

Wow!! While watching and completing the tutorials I found myself completely engaged with the math activities being coded.  The patterning tutorial would be a great activity to introduce and play with the concepts of growing patterns.  I liked how students can be introduced to algebra by using the letters as variables. To extend this programs students may want to try a code for shrinking patterns. I decided to share a coding project on Prime and Composite numbers.  Students have the ability to see their answers on the left hand side of the screen. The table shows all the factors of the composite numbers.  The sprite also has the ability to tell the user whether the answer is prime, therefore no factors are displayed on the table.  This program can be used to practice multiplication and factors of numbers. Students can work in pairs challenging each other to see whether the number would be prime or composite, if composite, listing all factors.  I can’t wait to see the next math tutorials.

mrsnerino

I had fun with this one, but I did want to pull my hair out at times!  In trying to trouble shoot, I actually found someone who'd done what I wanted to do, but correctly (ha!).  I wasn't sure how to remix something after I'd already started, so I did link his original code in my credits -- it's from George Gadanidis, whose work I really admire.  I'll be going back and fixing my Scratch code, but you get the idea  

Purple Block Growing Pattern on Scratch

We did a lot of work this year on proportional reasoning through a patterning lens, and we found that also students could often predict the 2nd, 4th, and 10th frame, they had problems articulating a rule for the nth frame or term.  Similarly, they might intuitively understand the pattern but have trouble articulating each of the parts (eg. y=mx+b).  I could definitely see coding the pattern as being a good next step to help illuminate some of these difficulties. 

sunnyblonde

I have to say that if I taught math, this would be great.  BUT, I do not teach math.  Really, for me, I need to sit down and play with the program to see how I can best serve my two student demographics for next year.  One is my Grade 9 English class.  I would love to see them use Scratch as part of one (or more) of our English assignments.  As I stated earlier, equipping my students with special educational needs, is my primary goal in taking this course.  I want them to be really comfortable using coding and I think Scratch is a great tool for that.

My second demographic are my students who are on the spectrum.  I have them in a Resource period.  If any of you have taught secondary school, you will know that a resource period is non-credit.  Often the students will come in with school work to do.  Just as often, however, they will come in frustrated with life, or school, or both.  They just want to chill.  That might simply mean lying back in the bean bag chair and reading comics.  I would prefer if I could get them up and onto a computer where they can learn to code in Scratch and create small stories, even cards like the ones seen in Mitch's video.

As for THIS experience, it simply gives me the idea that I can do different things with my students.  This actual experience could not even be tweaked for my class as I do not teach anything remotely similar.  But it does open my eyes to possibilities.