5 Replies Latest reply on 30-Jan-2017 6:43 PM by sevenfold

Discussion #6: Secret Path

teachontario.team

Before Reading This Section:

• Why could it be that the title of this section is the title of the entire book?

After Reading This Section:

• Choose a panel from this section. Find some of the details that might be missed in a quick read of this book.
      • If you were to do a “audio description and interpretation” of this panel, what would you say? What would you include?
        • Re: Discussion #6: Secret Path
          stratis

Before Reading This Section:

• Why could it be that the title of this section is the title of the entire book?

It might be a path that no one should have to follow even though it is taken by many and never spoken of.

After Reading This Section:

• Choose a panel from this section. Find some of the details that might be missed in a quick read of this book.

Chanie continues on his path  only will all his warmth has been exhausted and that is his last option to survive. 

• If you were to do a “audio description and interpretation” of this panel, what would you say? What would you include?

I would include the sound on a fire fizzling out , then a long sigh as Chaine rises and begins to walk.  The  crunch of the snow in between the rails as Chanie walks towards home starts out soft and gets louder and louder  as the weight of his hopelessness increases.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            noproblem

I think it's fitting that this section shares its title with the entire book since it provides us with a short summary of the heart of Chanie's experience. If you ONLY read this section, you would still have a good idea of Chanie's story; you'd have the gist of it at least. In many ways this is my favorite poem/song within this graphic novel. If you let it, this song will make you hurt inside, which I think is the point. Again, it makes sense because it does a good job encompassing the message of the entire piece.

I think the most powerful detail that could easily be missed is Chanie's match jar, now empty, discarded on the tracks as he walks onward (page 2 of this section). It seems deliberate that the jar of matches that had symbolized hope and connection with the rest of the world lays empty behind him as he walks on and things almost immediately go from bad to worse when the freezing rain starts to fall.

I think I would rather describe the first handful of panels in this section more holistically - this is how I might write a part of this scene or how I might create an audio description to accompany it: "The fire crackles ever more softly as it slowly dies. The wind blows the smoke from desperate embers as Chanie walks away along the tracks. The match jar clinks as it lands on the railroad tie; the lid echoes the jar as it falls. Chanie's boots thud, thud, thud, thud as he walks on. Tree branches bend and shift as they reach up to the grey clouds..."

There's a grey, hopeless feeling that I get from this section that I have tried to capture in my little write up.

I actually get a chill when I look at page four of the section and I can hear the rain begin. I can hear the patter of the rain on Chanie's face - the illustration makes it clear that this is the kind of rain that hurts when it hits you.

There would be a kind of natural beauty to the collection of panels on page four BUT the centre panel, the one where I see Chanie's face in the rain, reminds me that there is a boy enduring these elements; he shouldn't be there - the panel at the bottom right really drives this home. A little boy seems very out of place in the cold rain, on the tracks, among the tall trees, in the dark.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              daylaur

I think it could be that the title of this section is the title of the entire book because it speaks to the actual physical journey that Chanie experienced as he traveled by foot along the 'secret path' trying to reach home.

The panel on the far right bottom corner, of the page with Chanie's silhouette in the centre, contains a small image of Chanie on the tracks that I didn't notice at first, he appears to be illuminated.

• If you were to do a “audio description and interpretation” of this panel, what would you say? What would you include

I would talk about the pelting rain and the biting cold, the endless length of track, and the repetitiveness of the environment.  I would describe the pain of the cold and rain, giving way to numbness of body and mind as the journey wears him down.

carolyng

Chanie’s journey is the central theme of the book. This section drives home the hopelessness and misery that he experienced. Even without a sense of how happy Chanie was before or the portrayal his inevitable fate, this section of the book is very powerful and moving.

On the page after the poem we see the fire dying. Chanie resumes his journey, leaving behind the empty match bottle. At that moment he is truly alone, with little hope of survival. His blue windbreaker will not protect him from the elements and October in Northern Ontario marks the start of the descent into a very long winter.

I would somehow try to recreate the ringing sound that freezing rain makes when it strikes metal…probably with repetitive layers of that sound. I checked it out online here. What is interesting is that it almost sounds like the crackling of a fire….So I would likely start with the sounds of the fire giving way to the freezing rain.

sevenfold

The secret path title fits here because it is clear in this section that there is no one along the way to see or help him as he suffers from the wet and cold - so the way really is secret- but to his detriment.

In the panel where Chanie is hugging himself to try to keep warm, a detail I missed the first time was the water on his hand and forearm - this gives the impression that his jacket is soaked through, the water squeezing out as he hugs tight.

My audio description of this panel:

(sound of freezing rain, fading into audio desc.) Chanie determinedly continues his slow, difficult journey, tucking his chin into his collar as best he can, and hugging himself for warmth. By now, the relentless freezing rain has soaked through his thin jacket. (fade into sound of freezing rain again).