11 Replies Latest reply on 29-Jan-2017 4:17 PM by vchetcuti

Discussion #5: Son

teachontario.team

Before Reading This Section:

• Father-son relationships are primal, complex, and powerful. Consider your own father or a father-figure - how might your own experience affect the reading of this section?

After Reading This Section:

• Is this real? Does it happen? Share your opinion.
        • Re: Discussion #5: Son
          stratis

Before Reading This Section:

• Father-son relationships are primal, complex, and powerful. Consider your own father or a father-figure - how might your own experience affect the reading of this section?

Complexity in relationship might form an opinion that is not there.

It's hard to say.  This father knows what hardships his son is about to face.  He is trying to instil hope for his son and also to let him know that his father will always be thinking of him.

carolyng

My father offered encouragement, love and support. He felt that, as long as I tried, I would be able to accomplish anything that I set my mind to. We enjoyed each other’s company and laughed often. The images make me think that Chanie’s father was a source of strength and encouragement to him, too. He is there for him when he needs it the most, even if only in his dreams. He seems to be telling Chanie that he is there in his heart, maybe planting hope and  telegraphing his love through the laying on of his hand. Chanie clutches him close to his chest as he sleeps.    

noproblem

My father passed away when I was 29. I was fortunate that he passed when I was already an adult, but I'd say that once you lose a parent your perspective changes - even though most of us would consider this to be the "natural way of things". This section is touching and painful and bitter-sweet for me. I feel a connection to this section because there are times where I wish I could talk to my father - there are life events that he has missed out on but, unlike Chanie, I got to grow up and my father was able to see me grow up; he didn't lose me as a child. The fact that I am also a father impacts how I feel when I read this section - I think the real key is that my ability to empathize in this section is really heightened by the realities of my relationship and loss of my father. Now, as a new father, I can also hypothesize on the tremendous pain that Chanie's father would have felt - but the truth is that I cannot even imagine - it's a loss that goes beyond understanding, especially when you really address the WAY in which this occurred.

I really feel like this is a dream or hallucination. Chanie is likely suffering from hypothermia and may be having visions of what he wishes would happen. His father appears to rise out of the fire and this makes the scene feel like a spirit visit. Chanie's father seems to console him and tell him to be strong and happy to be himself through the words in the poem (lyrics). It's the message that Chanie deserves to receive from his father. a message of strength and perseverance and a message of embracing who you are. It's a father-son moment that Chanie and every other son deserves to have with his father, the one where he tells you that he supports you and encourages you to be YOU - to follow your dream in life. Sadly, it seems like it's a moment that only happens in Chanie's mind as his body begins to really break down - perhaps a necessary "visit" from his father signals a turn towards the end for him.

sevenfold

My father passed when I was a toddler, and so my father figure was my grandfather. I remember him as kind and supportive, allowing me and my siblings a free-spirited childhood. When I read this section of the book, I saw that Chanie's father was also caring and supportive. The relationship Chanie has with his father is normal and healthy, in sharp contrast to his experience of adults at the school.

Is this real? People are known to dream of solutions to their problems or of escaping from reality, but this feels more real to me - like Chanie's father is aware on some subconscious level that his son is in trouble, and is reaching out in spirit, to give him strength; to let him know that the difficult journey is nearing an end. It is a sad but beautiful scene, because it finally feels like Chanie is not alone.

gailterry

It is so real!!

My father passed away when I was 17.  At the time I could not grasp how much I would miss him and continue to miss him at pivotal times in my life, marriage, having children, reaching goals I set. .  I am so sad my own children did not get to experience his love of nature, his crazy sense of humour and how incredibly spoiled they would have been. His lessons live on no matter how long he is gone.

I am also relating this to my son and his dad who share a love of hunting and fishing, culture and tradition.  The images in the story affected me greatly because in the pictures of Chanie and his daddy I see my son and his daddy.  The look of pride, love and contentment on both of their faces when doing what they love to do and just being together is forever in my mind.  These are also replicated in our own photos of my son growing up.

Chanie found strength in knowing his dad was with him always and this helped him endure the horrors of residential and his attempt to get back to his home and his life where he belonged.

vchetcuti

Before reading:

The relationships that the reader has with a father figure or their father will inform the information that they bring in to the reading of this section

After reading:

It is real to Chanie. I think these experiences are real to anyone who has them. Some may see it as a vision, or even hallucination.