76 Replies Latest reply on 25-Jun-2017 1:32 PM by andrusis

Introduce Yourself! (Autumn Session - On Now)

mulcasterm

Welcome to Makerspaces: On the Spot & On a Dime!

For all participants who are new please take a moment to tell us a little about yourself!

• Who are you?
      • Where/what are you teaching?
      • What intrigued you to take this course?
      • What do you hope to learn?
      • How do you hope to use this learning?
      • How can we best support you?
      • What hobbies/passions do you currently enjoy?
      • What social media do you use for your PLN? (and what is your handle?)

Click on "Reply" to introduce yourself.

To see the introductions from the Summer Course, please click here:

Introduce Yourself! (Summer Session)

click here to return to main course page

• Re: Introduce Yourself! (Autumn Session)
          lfrabott

Hello everyone!

My name is Lucy and I am a teacher-librarian for the HWDSB. My goal for this year is to learn as much as I can about makerspaces so that I can effectively implement it into my library programming. I'm really looking forward to learning more about how I can set-up the library to facilitate this and how to actually get the kids to start tinkering and creating! I have already started by borrowing robots (ozobot, Dash, cubulets) from our board's Discovery Centre and have given students in grades 3-5 the opportunity to tinker with them and make them work. I did zero front-loading and so far, they have been able to figure them out themselves. They are totally engaged and excited!

At present, I do not have any active, professional social media accounts. Should I change this for this course?

Looking forward to learning with all of you!

-Lucy

• Re: Introduce Yourself! (Autumn Session)
              mulcasterm

Hi Lucy,

I'm glad to meet you. I'm still working on how to get the makerspace up and running - we were a new school and the library learning commons wasn't even finished until the first week of October. I've moved from a middle school to a K-8 school and am finding it quite different. No worries though, I'll find my way. You sound like you are off to a great start.

No need for any social media accounts for this course. I am a little twitter addicted, that's all

• Re: Introduce Yourself! (Autumn Session - On Now)

Hello,

My name is Fatima Formariz and I'm currently a vice-principal with TCDSB.  I have followed the maker movement for awhile through social media and professional reading.   I'm interested in starting a makerspace  in my school during the lunch hour as I believe it would support creativity and student engagement.    We have a large group of students who are experiencing some self-regulation issues and I believe this space is an alternative to some student.  Really looking forward to the learning.

Fatima

tinag

Hi there!

My name is Tina and I am currently working at TVO as part of the team that is bringing mPower to classrooms across Ontario.  I am at TVO on secondment from the TDSB where I am an educator in the elementary panel.  Why am I taking this course?  I am interested in the Maker Movement for many reasons.  I am interested in anything that gets kids excited about coming to school and learning!  Also, mPower 3-6 includes STEM Maker Challenges.  After completing a STEM design game, players are invited to leave the game and actually build something similar to what they designed in the game. I want to be able to distinguish Maker and STEM/STEAM.  What is the criteria that distinguishes the two? I don't necessarily expect Melanie to tell us, but I hope that through the activities and dialogue we will be able to come to a conclusion.

I am one of those weirdos who  look forward to snow! My family are avid skiers. I enjoy winter activities such as snow shoeing, skating and any apres winter activity that involves a fire and a little something to warm your cockles:)

You can follow me on Twitter @tginglo

Looking forward to the fun!

Tina

maureenmcg

Hi! My name is Maureen McGroarty and I am a Teacher-Librarian/Media Literacy Teacher at Camilla Rd Sr PS (PDSB; Grades 6 to 8).  Last year, 2 colleagues and I piloted some makerspace centres with 2 classes after reading The Innovator's Mindset by George Couros and after being inspired by Melanie's great makerspace work on Twitter!  We have expanded! We (now 10 teachers) are currently implementing Makerspace centres in the Library for 14 classes (nearly half of the school); 2 periods per class per cycle.  We have a variety of centres that are set up based on student interests (little bits, mindstorms, sewing, knitting, painting, learning languages, stop motion animation, makeup/special effects, spheros). They are currently at the exploration phase.  I would like to know ways in which to help them develop their skills in a meaningful way, and hopefully look beyond themselves to create something beneficial for others.

I like to read and run

Cheers,

Maureen

@camillalibrary

Hello Everyone, my name is Carolyn and I teach Grade 2 at St. Anne Elementary in Ottawa.  I have a very diverse group of students this year with a large number of needs.  I have non readers, many reading below grade level and a few that are ready to be challenged.  I am looking for activities and ideas that will allow students to engage in self-directed learning at many levels, and activities that allow students to enter the task at their own level as well as challenge them to ask questions and take risks.  An important goal for me is to be able to find ways to promote student literacy through writing, reflecting, and journal writing while Making in specific subject areas.  I am in a portable, so I have to be creative about where and how I implement my “Makerspaces”, as space is somewhat at a premium.  

I love spending time with family and being in the outdoors, I am a lover of dogs (aka Golden Retrievers) skiing, cottaging, good books, food and travel!

I am open to learning and discovering new ideas and look forward to creating authentic and engaging learning experiences for my students.

I have a classroom blog, but I no longer have a twitter account.

Looking forward to learning together!

Carolyn

mulcasterm

Hi Carolyn,

I  love your thought re: promoting student literacy through writing, reflecting, and journal writing. This is one of my goals - I'm currently working a weaving project for our grade ones that gets them to tell a story about the seasons through their woven piece. Making can be such  a great provocation for our writers. I look forward to learning with and from you!

beginningwithfdk

Hi,

My name is Catherine Lee, please call me Cat.  I am an FDK teacher in YRDSB. I was really intrigued by this course because I've been exposed to Makerspaces through AQs and PD and would like to learn how we can integrate them in the curriculum across grades. I am also the Modern Learning Lead and TLT in our school and some teachers have expressed concerns about finding it difficult to integrate technology and Makerspaces into their program. I'm really hoping to help staff find ways to use Makerspaces in the classroom and align it with their curriculum. Sometimes I find that I am really lucky to teach Kindergarten because the new FDK curriculum has a frame called "Problem Solving and Innovating" which lends itself very nicely to Modern Learning and Makerspaces. I would like to help staff find an easier integration as well.

On a personal note, I enjoy travelling and experiencing different cultural foods, snowboarding, outdoor activities, watching sports and shopping (shhh..for school and non-school related materials). You can find me on Twitter and Instagram.

I look forward to meeting and engaging with all of you!

Cat

amit.mehrota

Hi All,

My name is Amit Mehrotra. I'm an Instructional Technology Resource Teacher for the Peel District School Board. Prior to this, I was teaching High School English for the past 14 years.

In my new role, I have a lot of teachers and schools who are interested in creating a Makerspace, and I know that Mel has done some amazing work with Makerspaces in her own school and given great ideas to many people in our Board. I'm really excited to learn from her expertise.

I enjoy carpentry and building, so that is my "maker" background. I'm hoping to not only use the ideas from this course in my new role, but also to help my daughter who is in grade 3.

I'm excited about the learning ahead.

Amit

Hello everyone!

My name is Mary Sarginson and I am an FDK teacher with the PVNCCDSB. This year I have a diverse bunch of learners who would benefit from fun and exciting ways to engage themselves in the curriculum through Maker Space activities in the classroom. I am open to learning more about Maker Spaces!

I enjoy spending time with my family, reading, travel, and the outdoors! Although I do not yet have a Twitter account, I am ready to jump on board with one soon!

I look forward to meeting and learning with you all!

Mary

janetm13

Hi. I'm Janet Molzan, I teach Grade 1 French Immersion in GECDSB.  I saw this course in my Twitter feed and was curious!  The title intrigued me!  I'm looking forward to learning how to incorporate makerspaces in my classroom with the added challenge of support second language learners. I am also currently involved in a TLLP about coding and am interested to see how makerspaces  can fit in with this project.

I enjoy painting, reading, and spending time with family and friends. My personal Twitter handle is @jollyfille13.

dianamali

No tidy paragraphs for me ... point form answers, here I come!

• Who are you? = Diana Maliszewski (Moll-uh-shev-skee)
                                • Where/what are you teaching? = teacher-librarian with media prep, Toronto DSB
                                • What intrigued you to take this course? = love for Melanie, improving current Library Learning Commons MakerSpace 2.0 (1.0 closed by higher order), learn how to run a course like this
                                • What do you hope to learn? = tips for paracord & paper circuits, ways for Ss to explore & tinker (student-led) while learning techniques without wasting too many supplies (I have to hide/hoard my yarn!)
                                • How do you hope to use this learning? = in my LLC MS 2.0 & with a secret but cool upcoming media project
                                • How can we best support you? = Melanie, come to my school and eat lunch with me (or at least let's eat lunch at the OLA Superconference in February)
                                • What hobbies/passions do you currently enjoy? = finger knitting (Melanie's "fault"), scrapbooking,
                                • What social media do you use for your PLN? (and what is your handle?) = Twitter is my friend; I am @MzMollyTL

Hello,

My name is Jessica and I am a teacher-librarian and planning time teacher with the Upper Grand District School Board. I am in a K-8 school. This is my second year in the library and I have a little bit more of a library allotment than I had last year, which I am very happy about I was lucky enough to attend the OLA Superconference last January and saw Mel present in a workshop all about makerspaces. My board is really trying to promote the shift from library to learning commons and the makerspace seems like a really good way to do that. I have just started my school's library makerspace with some pretty low tech building materials, but have had some access to cubelets and also have done some coding with students. I signed up for this course to get more ideas for practical and easy activities that will help engage students in our school makerspace. At the risk of gender stereotyping, I'd love to find ideas for "making" that appeal to girls, as there has definitely been an overwhelming interest from boys so far.

I have two young boys myself, who keep me very busy! When I can spare some time to myself, I love reading, quilting, gardening, and cooking-- I am a bit of a maker, I think!

Jessica

mulcasterm

Hi Jessica,

Well, I'm glad you came back after hearing me speak! (I can be a bit of a nut) I think you will come away with a bunch of new things you can try (we still haven't gotten our budget yet so I have no high tech toys). Too funny - all the girls have come out to the making activities so far at our school, although several of the boys got into finger knitting today. I love your comment, that you are a bit of a maker - I think I'm becoming one myself. I never thought about myself that way until recently! I look forward to learning with you! (and maybe seeing you again at the OLA Superconference)

Hi,

My name is Laurel and I work in the Hamilton Wentworth District School Board.  I am a second career teacher so I am always looking for learning opportunities.  I am currently an OT, but am in an LTO for the second year as a .5 which includes being the librarian (shared with the permanent teacher I am in for).  I have been hearing about "Maker Spaces" and saw this opportunity to learn about them.  At my children's school they have implemented one and I told the new principal at my school I would investigate it for our Learning Commons. 

I hope to try an implement a Maker Space at the school with support of the principal.  After taking this course I hope to have a greater understanding of how to start and run a "maker space".  Really it sounds like so much fun I can't wait to try it!

I have many personal interests including reading, cooking and fitness but spend most of my time with my three children and their busy lives.

Twitter @LAWilkinson1

Who are you? Carol

• Where/what are you teaching? Library Tech WCDSB
                                        • What intrigued you to take this course? Looking for more ideas for our makerspace
                                        • What do you hope to learn? sharing, collaborating and creating. Bringing more stem/steam related ideas into the space
                                        • How do you hope to use this learning?  sharing with the students/staff
                                        • How can we best support you? share ideas
                                        • What hobbies/passions do you currently enjoy? reading, crafts
                                        • What social media do you use for your PLN? (and what is your handle?) twitter @BonifaceLibrary
                                          sandra.chow

Hi!

My name is Sandra Chow. Like Tina I'm also at TVO as in Instructional Liaison on secondment from TDSB. I have taught various grades over the years with my last position in Grade 5/6. I've also taught overseas in Taiwan where I was a Teacher Librarian. Although I didn't take your last course  I loved your first series of videos and shared it with many of my friends on Social Media. They were fantastic. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom.

I hope to get more wonderful ideas from you selfishly to share with my own children at home, and again to share with teachers across Ontario and on Social Media. I love to dabble in tech so I'm interested to see how Makerspaces might intersect with technology and I'm currently very passionate about the Blue Jays as I sport my Blue Jays cap at work.

Looking forward to learning with everyone!

Sandra Chow @schowONT  or @watnunu

mulcasterm

Hi Sandra, glad you could join us! I'm also glad you enjoyed the videos enough to share them! (I never realized how much I talk with my eyebrows after watching these videos). I'm watching the live updates while I work right now. 2-1 Jays .. just hold on!

I'm sure you'll get some great new ideas ... the videos aren't as polished this time . They are an authentic reflection of the making our house. I look forward to learning with and from you!

erin5

Hello, I am Erin. I hoped I registered correctly. I am a new teacher librarian in Guelph at a brand new school. I am working at getting routines in place for the kids and trying to create spaces for the kids to read and use makerspace. The kids have been helping me learn the cubelets!! Looking forward to this course

mulcasterm

Hi Erin,

I nearly laughed out loud. I seem to be in the exact same position...almost. I am not a new TL, but new to a K-8 model and our school is brand new as well. Our learning commons wasn't even finished until the first week of October. I'm having a bit of a frustrating time trying to organize materials, and get our makerspace going. It will get there - but I must be patient. I would love to hear about your experiences. I look forward to learning with you!

pwindsor

Hi,

I am Paula Windsor and I am teaching a grade 5/6 class in Cambridge Ontario.  This is my first year back in the classroom after being a literacy/numeracy support teacher for the past five years.  I am interested in innovation, creativity, student led learning, genius hour, coding, and how technology can support learning.  I love learning and look forward to connecting with some other eager learners.

• Hi I am MJ Stewart. I am a teacher librarian with UGDSB and I teach science and social studies. I wanted to take this course this summer but my computer broke and I was without it for most of the summer. I hope to start a maker space in the library/learning commons and get some ideas on what and how to incorporate the makerspace. I would love to have an idea of some must have items that are high and low tech. I love reading, hiking, baking/cooking and spending time with friends and family and will be learning how to adjust to an empty nest come January when both my kids will be at school. I don't do a lot of social media so I don't have a 'handle'.

Hi my name is Gail.  I work for the Hamilton Wentworth District School Board.  I am a later in life, second career, teacher.  I have just become a full time permanent teacher this year and I split my time between two schools and I have library duties in both schools.  I am currently assisting the principal in building a makerspace in one of the school libraries and would be interested in doing one in the other library.  A friend told me about this course so I signed up as I do not have a lot of information about makerspaces and would be very interested in learning more.

In my spare time, which sadly I dont have a lot of right now, I like to read, cook, write, play board games and hang out with my husband and two children. 

ahopkins

Hi Everyone!

My name is Ashley Hopkins.  I am currently teaching Grade 8 and Guidance for the Peel District School Board.  I am taking this course because I am about the start my Library AQ Courses and have a passion for working with those in my school to turn our Library into a Hub for the school and one that engages all students in hands-on learning.

I hope to learn how to put a Makerspace together that meets that needs of variety of ages and abilities.

I enjoy crafting and learning through 'doing'.  I'm always trying to come up with new and innovative ways to engage my students and help them learn in an environment that is supportive of their differentiated learning styles and needs.

Looking forward to learning from all of you!

jmichalenko

Hello, My name is John Michalenko. I am the Science Chair at Jean Vanier Catholic High School in Collingwood Ontario.  I am always looking for hands on, engaging activities to work into the science curriculum.  I enjoy making, and 3D printing myself.  I am looking forward to the electronic gift card module.

Hello everyone!

My name is Karen Murray and I am a high school Teacher Librarian with the Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board. I have started a Maker Space in the library and I am looking for cool new activities to add to my back pocket. We also now have a 3D printer in the library which I will be leading the roll out of very soon so I am hoping to gain some tips and expertise on 3D printing.

I think the push towards Maker Spaces is an awesome idea and I think it further gives TL's a name to what we have already been doing in our libraries.

I am a wife and mother of a busy two year old who is quite the maker himself. Watching him play and learn further demonstrates to me the importance of tinkering and making and how we best learn through doing.

I can't wait to learn from all of you!

mpuddy

Hi, I'm Meagan Puddy-McQuirter. I'm a Teacher Librarian / Literacy/Numeracy Lead in the YRDSB.  I'm working on how to incorporate Maker Space into the Learning Commons and the logistics of when students can have access to the space. Hoping to learn some more activities to introduce to students at various grade levels.

mulcasterm

Hi Meagan,

It's great to meet you. I am working on the logistics of our makerspace - I cover planning times for our 4,5 and 6 classes and have begun making with them, but have yet to make the connections with some other teachers. I have connected recently with our grade one and we are making in their classrooms ... but how to do it all is something I'm struggling with. I also believe that the LLC shouldn't be the only makerspace in the school and their should be carts or boxes in every room. I don't have the answers yet, but I will.  I would love to connect with you along your journey and learn with you!

Hi, I am Sue Small. I am an Early Childhood Educator in a Kindergarten classroom. I have worked in classrooms and as a Program Facilitator for K-3 ecucators and Principals.. We as a board, were aware of learning in the 20th century being different and therefore needing different language, opportunities and teaching skills.

We begin in Kindergarten with the use of loose parts and creativity, student voice and building on each other's theories. This is no easy feat but but worth every second.

I was wondering if this course would help me on my journey of loose parts, inquiry and innovative thinking.

I look forward to learning from others as well.

Aside from being a passionate life-long learner, I enjoy reading novels, travelling and own a horse farm.

Hello my name is Lauren and I teach with the TDSB. I teach Grade 1/2 F.I. and am very interested in implementing more open-ended activities in my classroom that encourage students to think outside the box to solve problems. I was hoping this course might assists me and give me ideas as to how to implement STEM related challenges in my classroom.

Hi My name is Farah Rahemtula I am a K-12 Learning Coach with the Toronto District School Board.  I'm intrigued about this course because I've done some reading about this movement but haven't had an opportunity to see it in action.  I work with a variety of schools and know the benefits it can provide the students in them.  I'm hoping to learn about the different possibilities of what a maker space can be, what it can offer and how it can support students.  Then in turn bring this information to the schools I work with.  As far as hobbies/passions, I currently enjoy digital scrapbooking, some leather work and in the past metal/jewelry work.  I use twitter for my PLN.

Hi My name is Michelle.

I'm currently teaching Grade 2 in Mississauga with PDSB. I'm interesting in introducing more low and high tech activities to my program. I've seen various examples of Makerspaces and want to learn how I can bring that into my own classroom and school.

I love Lego and plan to use it even more this year. I'm learning more about coding and would love to try other activities like finger knitting as well. I'm also curious about doing more STEM challenges with my class this year as well.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Fiona Bennett and I am currently and Early Years Reading Coach with TDSB.  I am hoping to learn more about Makerspaces and their potential to enhance EY learning spaces.  I hope to share my learning with the EY teacher teams I collaborate with.

mulcasterm

Hi Fiona,

I think making and makerspaces have a huge role in EY learning spaces. Actually I'm just learning how great now - we have some fabulous K rooms in our schools that ARE makerspaces!! (I've previously done most of my teaching at a middle school - the new learning is fast and furious). It's a pleasure to meet you - I can't wait to see your angle on our making activities. I look forward to learning with and from you.

Hi, my name is Anu. I teach grade 7/8 Math and Language for Special Education. I'm a huge nerd who loves exploring different cuisines, yoga, and tech. I'm hoping to learn how to deliver a meaningful makerspace experience for my students.

Looking forward to a lot of new learning, exploring, and making creative connections!

lcooke5

Hello all! I am a little late joining in on the course as life has been exceptionally busy these days! I am a Grade 5 teacher with Peel. I am currently at Burnt Elm Public School. I am hoping to start up a Makerspace within my school over the next 2 years with the help of a couple other teachers. I was able to go to the Makerspace release days that Tina Zita had last year. Those of you with Peel likely know who I mean for those of you not with Peel she is an ITRT with our board and a great resource for Makerspaces and Tech in the classroom. I currently have a small area in my class devoted to STEM/Makerspace that currently changes every one or 2 weeks. I am a huge believer in Genius Hour and have run it for the past 3 years in my class with great success.  I want to take this course to expand what I know and get and share ideas with other passionate about makerspaces in the school.  In my spare time (what spare time?? lol) I have 2 beautiful children that I run around with and after. My professional twitter handle is @LorinaDC5 but I post more on my class handle @MrsCookesFab5s. 

teachyl

Hello Everyone,

My name is Laura and I am also a little late joining the course. I was out of the country last week, but am ready to catch up now! I am an occasional teacher with OCDSB and in the past taught abroad for four years in Taiwan and Peru. I am also taking my Math Part 2 AQ right now (fall is slow for supply teachers and a great time for pd) and in the process learned about Makerspaces and in my quest to learn more signed up for this course. I hope to absorb everything I can from this course and maybe pioneer a makerspace in my next LTO.

If I were to boil down my hobbies/passions they would be: yoga, traveling, hiking, and tv.

Nice to meet everyone! Laura

spenfold

Hi Everyone,

My name is Susan and I am a teacher-librarian with UGDSB in Orangeville.  I signed up for this course because I have had a makerspace in my Learning Commons for a few years, but I don't really feel like I make the most of it.  I am really hoping to come away with some strategies to inspire the students to really use the makerspace beyond making beds and houses for their stuffed animals (not that there is anything wrong with that - it's just that I get a lot of it! ) 

I really enjoy reading, camping, playing hockey, hiking, and spending time with my family.  My twitter is @susanvdhp

I am really looking forward to this course and to connecting with everyone!

mulcasterm

Hi Susan,

First of all, sorry for the late response. Thank you for joining. I'm sure you'll come away with a lot of new ideas for your space. I'm finding our space to be quite different this year - I have no beads or houses for stuffies yet . It's funny how every space is different - just like our kids - and that's what makes every space unique! I get what you're saying - on one hand, we want our students to drive the space, based on their interests and passions. However, on the other hand, we want to challenge them to take the risks necessary to try something new. This is something I struggle with  - how to encourage new learning without "directing" new learning. How to provide opportunities for new explorations that don't seem contrived or directed, but as you say "inspire" students to take action.

My name is Mary - I work at a Deaf school here in Ontario.  I teach grades 2,3,5.  The whole makerspace concept intrigues me and I'm interested to see what kind of learning happens when children are engaged in this process.  I'd like to use that learning to bolster student self-esteem, scaffold other learning, maybe even encourage their writing! 

I'm not a technophobe - entirely, but this is all a bit new to me.  I'm behind the game a bit because I expected an e-mail letting me know that things had started, and none came, so I missed the start of the workshop.  I'll try to feel things out as I go, but at the moment feel a bit lost and definitely behind. 

I love to read, I love to create, make things with my hands, I live on a farm and do lots of outdoors things.  I don't know what a PLN is? 

• Where/what are you teaching?
                                                                                        • What intrigued you to take this course?
                                                                                        • What do you hope to learn?
                                                                                        • How do you hope to use this learning?
                                                                                        • How can we best support you?
                                                                                        • What hobbies/passions do you currently enjoy?
                                                                                        • What social media do you use for your PLN? (and what is your handle?)
                                                                                          andrusis

Hi! My name is Samantha Andrusiek. I am a grade 4/5 teacher with the Nipissing Parry-Sound Catholic Board. I was interested in taking this course because I will be part of a TLLP next year. My team and I will be trying to integrate Makerspace with math inquiry. I was also interested in the idea of creating a Makerspace on a budget. Also, to be able to collaborate and learn from other educators across the province.