5 Replies Latest reply on 4-Nov-2016 9:37 PM by iniyal

Module 12a - Minds On

mulcasterm

What 21st century skills are being used when students build simple robots? How could we robotics to motivate and engage our students? Can you envision a particular learner in your classrooms that this learning experience would appeal to? What curricular connections can you see?

click here to return to main course page

• Re: Module 12a - Minds On

Simple Robots are further examples of ways to teach competencies and character qualities that are necessary in the 21st century.  Collaboration is becoming more and more an important skill to be taught and used in the classroom.  The reactions of the students in the video show that robotics can motivate and engage our students.  Imagine using robotic creations to produce art work that show the elements of design.  Quite often activities like robotics allow students that may not remember all the facts to show their strengths.

dianamali

When I taught summer school in TDSB and we had a STE(A)M focus, a fabulous teacher named Teresa Allan did Scribble Bots with her students. It fits the design thinking process very well. Matt already mentioned collaboration and motivation.

I've seen that you can buy these as a product to make. What is the difference between buying a kit vs assembling parts individually? Is there a change in the learning experience?

mulcasterm

Would you think there would be a sense of satisfaction knowing you did it yourself from scratch? I would compare it to baking a cake from scratch or using a mix. To sitting in traffic on the 401 or using the 407. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference - or how much time you have. I mean we are all eating the same cake - ending up at the same destination in the end, right?

iniyal

The wiggle bots and boats is something we have been doing at our school within the Fluids Unit in Gr.8. Love that students can collaborate, communicate, problem solve, innovate and re-iterate all with a purpose/goal in mind.