8 Replies Latest reply on 28-Oct-2016 8:09 PM by mulcasterm

Module 11a - Minds On

mulcasterm

Can you think of some learners in your classroom that would benefit from this kind of learning experience? How could we use paper circuits to motivate and engage our students? What curricular connections can you see?

click here to return to main course page

• Re: Module 11a - Minds On
          mattlet2002

I enjoyed spending the summer playing around with squishy circuits.  Instead of graphite and tape, play dough is used to make a connection and circuit.  Visual learners benefit greatly with paper circuits as well as our hands on learners.  Students have the opportunity to understand the importance of the wiring.  With normal wiring, students see the protective covering around the wiring, but not the actual copper wiring.  Paper circuits also let them see what happens if there is a gap in the wiring and how it can be repaired with tape.  Students would have fun creating interesting designs using the tape to create a circuit.  It would elevate many art activities.

This reminds me of an activity I learned years ago in an AQ Course to show the importance of hands on learning.  We were given a pumpkin and a piece of paper.  On the paper, we had to write words to describe the pumpkin.  We could cut open the pumpkin to describe the inside as well.  We were then given a picture of a pumpkin and had to remove words from our list if the picture did not describe the word, such as mushy or seeds.  We then got a paper with the word "pumpkin" on it and had to remove more words.  We learned the importance of hands on learning and the role of hands on - then pictures - then abstract in teaching students.

• Re: Module 11a - Minds On
            dianamali

With paper circuits, the light literally goes on when success occurs! Some learners would really appreciate that clear indication that what they tried to do worked, as opposed to things like finger-knitting (my MakerSpacers and I are still heavily into the finger-knitting, so it's my go-to example) where it's not as certain whether or not it's "turning out". I have to travel to get my lights and I have no car right now, so it may be a while until I try it for myself and then bring it to the students. I'm excited about incorporating it with textile arts - wearable lights!