6 Replies Latest reply on 30-Oct-2016 12:41 PM by

Module 10b - Consolidation

mulcasterm

Take a picture of a project you created and post it to module ten’s discussion. What did you like about this experience? How would you modify, extend or use this experience for learners in the classroom? What might you like to try next?

We encourage you to read through the posts of your peers and to comment/contribute where you feel a connection.

click here to return to main course page

• Re: Module 10b - Consolidation
          mattlet2002

image.jpg

I found it a lot easier process than I initially thought.  I also learned you can buy needles to use with paracord.  I had to redo it a few times in order to get the best tension to fit the phone.  I also learned to pull the knots down to stretch out the weave.  The first time I made it too tight and the holder was too small for the phone.  A great tool to show the reason patterns are important to learn and a different way to assess patterning.  For some students, they could create a bracelet using the technique used with the blue rope.  More advanced students could add a cross stitch of the pink rope to better secure the phone.  Looking at communities around the world, students could create something that could carry a book or pencil case instead of a school bag. 

dianamali

IMG_2358.JPG

My son and I made the Safety Skeletons as seen on the video, just without the lights.

What we liked about the experience was that:

- the instructions were simple, not super-long,

- there wasn't a lot of stuff you needed to make these

> the material was flexible (and we cauterized our ends with flame, which was really cool to watch)

How we would modify/use/extend this in class:

- "I don't know; you're the teacher"

> I'd do this with my students; it's too bad "Take Your Child to Work Day" is after Halloween as my son feels pretty confident making these creatures ... I need to figure out post-Halloween uses so it could be a possibility

> I'd like to extend it to find out what kind of knots I was actually making while creating these

What might you like to try next?

- something in the vein of this, maybe a little harder

- this was stuff I knew what to do so following that kind of rule, I would be open to try

> I liked Matt's suggestion about thinking about how paracord could help the lives of children around the world

jmichalenko

IMG_0997.JPG

Added in some sewable thread, a treat bag to hold the battery, and a switch.

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG