10 Replies Latest reply on 15-Aug-2016 4:29 PM by alisonmcavella

Module 9: Consolidation Squishy Circuits

mulcasterm

Take a picture of a playdough circuit you created and post it to the discussion page. What did you like about this experience? How would you modify or use this experience for learners in the classroom? What might you like to try next?

click here to return to main course page

• Re: Module 9: Consolidation Squishy Circuits
          ogreymare

I made the dough last January and used it primarily with primaries. We combined LittleBIts ( motors, power source), alligator clips, and LET lights to see what we could make happen. We also sometimes use dough with lego and littlebits as the connecting material.

I was impressed when I first came across Squishy Circuits and like the St.Thomas crew love how little hands can use it so easily but also love the fascination of the big kids as they light up little creature's eye balls and such.

Thanks again Melanie for a good collection of resources- I can see sharing links with teachers to get them thinking about possibilities...

mattlet2002

image.jpeg

Squishy circuits have taught me so much about electrical currents and electricity.  I had to install a new light and as I was doing it I thought about how the wiring is similar to the squishy circuits.  Next I would try to see how insulation play dough would work.  As a note, I used store bought play dough which conducted well.

In learning about squishy circuits, I came across copper tape.  Apparently it works similar to the play dough.  My hope this year with one class is to have them draw a creature from a story.  I want to use the led lights for eyes and and then use the copper tape and a watch battery on the back to light up the creature.  A nice mini lesson on electricity would begin the activity.

mattlet2002

I will be purchasing a set or two in the fall along with some Makey Makey sets.  My principal is a big fan of STEM and will spend the money to encourage it.  I actually got the squishy circuit from the Ontario Library Association.  Members can borrow different kits from them for a few months.

katinapapulkas

My daughters are 12 and 15 and I gave them the lessons for this activity.  They tried it this week and had a great time making the dough and then creating the circuits.  By the time I came home, they had created sushi circuits and were having a great time lighting things up.  Being the mom/educator I asked them lots of questions about how it worked etc... my daughter just completed a grade 9 science unit on electricity and was able to explain the concepts to our whole family. At the end of her explanation she said - "Wow - I really understand that so much better now!"  They had a fun and engaging time doing this activity and have asked for more!  What more could a mom ask for in the latter part of the summer?

SC1.jpg

SC2.jpg

alisonmcavella

IMG_6481.JPG

I ran this activity at a science camp with a group of kids aged 6-13 and they all really enjoyed it. When I walked through this activity during training alongside my co-worker, I was super excited and wanted to try out so many different things (e.g. observing what happens to the brightness in series vs. parallel). The kids reacted the same way, trying out lots of ideas and seeing what happens. Even just making the playdough was fun – sticking in LED lights was an added bonus.

During my second placement, I taught the Grade 9 electricity unit and found that connecting circuits with multiple wires can get tangled, and make things confusing (especially since circuit diagrams are drawn so linearly). Playdough is a lot more tangible and easily manipulated so I think it could act as a great substitute.

I also used the circuit builder Gizmos (electronic simulation program: https://www.explorelearning.com/) and the students found that helpful. Lots of ways to make electricity hands on and interactive!