10 Replies Latest reply on 15-Aug-2016 9:28 PM by s_whit

Module 8: Minds On Building with Cardboard

mulcasterm

How can we use cardboard to enhance the learning experience of our students?

click here to return to main course page

• Re: Module 8: Minds On Building with Cardboard
          ogreymare

Wow that first video is beyond impressive - who knew cardboard could be so strong re: a cathedral? Or at least in partnership with other materials...

One of our schools has these pretty geo-metric cardboard dividers that are light and easily moved around to divide up their open foyer learning space as needed - those seem less cool after this video!

mattlet2002

I mentioned in the duct tape activity that I took students to build cardboard boats.  In speaking with the organizers, high school teams designed boats that could hold over 800 lbs of students.  Instead of cutting the cardboard and using the duct tape to attach the pieces together, these teams folded the cardboard, origami style, to maximize the strength of their boats.  The secret tool for constructing these boats was surprisingly a pizza cutter.  They used it to help bend the cardboard to manipulate it, rather than cutting.

debcrep

I went beyond the first video and watched all of them. I found it too interesting and exciting! The videos are amazing. I love it and really hope to join the Global Cardboard Challenge! I think it would make a great Community Day...with planning of course.

cheryl

I love the idea of building with cardboard. Caine's Arcade was a wonderful video to watch and would probably inspire many of  the students to create a cardboard project of their own. This past year, I brought in some empty kleenex boxes, toilet paper rolls etc. As I hadn't yet reached out to the community for supplies my resources were limited. However, the few students who did have access to the materials LOVED creating with them. While the creations were not as elaborate as Caine's the excitement and desire to create was there. One student came to the learning commons daily to work on the "spaceship" he was creating. It was wonderful to see this otherwise challenging student engaged and on task!

In the  fall, I'll be sending out messages to our parent community to collect and share their empty cardboard containers and will ask for donations of masking tape. I can't wait to see what the kids create this year!

msayers

Cardboard could be used to enhance the learning of our students in so many ways, especially as it's somewhat easy to come by and the possibility of it's uses are endless.  An example of this in my own previous experiences is when I had students create a life-size environment they believed was a setting from Diary of a Wimpy Kid for our novel night.  It was their own vision and they were happy with the reactions they saw from visiting families who entered into the environment they created. 

The videos for this module show just how versatile this material is. Cardboard was one of my own child's favourite materials from a pint size coach to a fort complete with drawings on the inside of things that were important to him.  Our own students can be just as creative especially if we provide accompanying tools. 

gmctiernan

As I mentioned before, I had students create game controllers for the Makey Makey in May and June.  They cut apart Pizza boxes (and used aluminum foil, playdoh and masking tape) to create dance platforms (for dance games) and a variety of other 3-D ideas.  When I taught Special Education, I created student 'offices' (3 sided - no top) by covering cardboard with colourful duct tape and placing them on their desks during independent learning time - to reduce visual distractions. I hadn't thought of using it on a scale shown in the videos though.  Inspiring ideas!!!

ltaparluie

Cardboard is so readily available and essentially free. If we can engage our students, it presents a fantastic way to get the maker ideology rolling. Cardboard could be used as prototypes for larger projects or for the project itself. My 5 year old son loves building things from our cardboard recycling pile and the cardboard he has access to at school. Kids have fantastic imaginations, and it's our job to help them flourish.

sofiel

Many years ago I had my Grade 5 class build the Aztec town of Tenochtitlan. We used paper mache to make the base but most all of the structures were made out of cardboard. It was great to see students working towards a common goal and learning as they went. 

adn_naik

Very impressive! I think imagination and creativity are the two most important skills we require and there are endless possibilities. I have use cardboard with my students for number of projects. They made a recycling truck prototype using cardboard. We begin our year by creating tidy boxes from tissue boxes. I have helped my son making his medieval castle, long house and rural community projects using cardboard.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            s_whit

I love the diversity of the videos posted. I was in awe of how much time and effort was invested in creating the cardboard drawers... In terms of desire to play though, the arcade clips resonated with me most...