9 Replies Latest reply on 1-Dec-2016 12:14 PM by daylaur

Module 6: Minds On 3D Design

mulcasterm

What curricular connections can you make from watching the Minds On video?

click here to return to main course page

• Re: Module 6: Minds On 3D Design
          mattlet2002

I remember years ago when the Ontario curriculum came out, people were always asking about what expectations we were covering in each lesson.  The video reinforced to me the importance of using great ideas and then trying to see how the curriculum, especially in Science and Social Studies, fits into the ideas.  There are endless possibilities in Science and Social Studies where students can plan and create.

mattlet2002

The video also has me wondering about the role that tech fads can play in education.  The popularity of Pokemon Go is such an example.

debcrep

I can see curricular connects in almost everything! Math, science, social studies, language, visual arts! This looks really interesting, look forward to trying it out!

gmctiernan

This video is very inspiring - students working together, sharing information and solving problems. I can see curricular applications in math through geometry and problem solving, but also in science (structures) and even social studies (integrating inquiry process through technology).

sofiel

I can see direct connections in measurement, geometry and science. I would also love to try adding it as a way tool for students when they have finished an inquiry and want to share their learning. For example, creating an example of first nations housing.

alisonmcavella

I can see many curricular expectations being explored, math and science (circuits/electricity) especially. I love how the students are so engaged, and approach problems with a team focus. The idea of using this technology to generate leaders within the classroom that can support other students is great!

s_whit

I immediately thought of teaching landforms in geography, as well geometry & measurement (math) and structures (science)!

adn_naik

I see students learning collaboration skills for the leaning of their interest. Innovation and technology makes it interesting, relevant and meaningful. There are so many possibilities of trans-disciplinary approach of teaching and learning.

daylaur

Based on what I saw in the video, I think you could connect the 3-D design activities to many curriculum areas.  Most obvious would be math (number sense/integers, volume, measurement); I like the suggestion made above to incorporate into social studies by designing a First Nations home (could also use to design a home for a settler in Canada).  I think you can also tie in language/literacy in a lot of ways.  You could ask a student to give oral directions to a peer to reconstruct a design, you could have a student blog about the design process they went through; they could present their design to the class, design an advertisement for their new home.  Bottom line also is if the learning is student driven and focused on the "big ideas" from the curriculum, that's all you need!