25 Replies Latest reply on 17-Aug-2016 8:29 PM by jlongthorne

Module 5: Consolidation Coding

mulcasterm

Take a screenshot or record a screencast that demonstrates your thinking process during this experience. Post a picture or screenshot to the discussion and reflect on your experience. How many 21st century skills and competencies are involved in coding? What did you discover about yourself as a learner? What could you discover about your students? How could you use this in your classroom to motivate and engage students?

click here to return to main course page

• Re: Module 5: Consolidation Coding
          ogreymare

I didn't  take time to do any coding this round, I just wanted to share about the first time I did the hour of code ( international day) with my class and I watched their engagement and saw the collaboration and problem solving naturally happen. Now, our french teacher loves technology so as one of her French Quest badges coding is a big element so for the students at our school french is their major door into this world which is exciting. I keep telling teachers to follow the French teacher in order to implement more technology/coding - she is taking the time to initiate great learning in her time with them and we can take it into other subject areas.

We also had a MISA project for our K to 2 classes this year and they loved coding - Code.org I think was the most used, and we were doing the coding often in partnership with our robots Dot and Dash.

I don't think I saw these documents listed and I find them helpful (sorry if they are there already and I missed them) :

TDSB Elementary Coding Skills Continuum - Google Docs

TDSB Scratch Coding Connections - Google Docs

It would be a great TLLP project - math and coding - especially with the province refocusing energy on math again ( and that means more dollars!!!).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            alisonmcavella

music maker.png

This was a screen capture from the music mixer code; so fun! It was so interested to see all the different possibilities coding can offer. I definitely had to rely on critical thinking to resolve problems with my codes and navigate new ways to overcome challenges. I like how students have the opportunity to apply these skills in creative and innovative ways to get their own ideas out there. I really enjoyed the video on the Touch Develop website that showed middle school students creating an app that provides concussion information to athletes; coding has the power to give students the tools they need to conquer real-world problems and interact with their environment in new ways. I would love to offer my future students the opportunity to share any app ideas they have (I’m sure they’d come up with some awesome stuff!) and put these ideas into action. This could really lend itself to student ownership of learning.

I’m really excited to learn more; next steps for me include becoming knowledgeable on scratch and 3D printing!

mattlet2002

Coding engages students in many competencies from critical thinking to grit.  As a learner, I discovered that I needed to try one or two steps and then test the code.  Some people might input all the codes and try it out.  I'm more cautious and did the codes in small parts.  Students might fit into one of the two approaches.  Coding also presents new activities to assess students beyond paper or oral presentations in different subjects.  I like how coding encourages quality over quantity.

image.png

gillianlr

emoji.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-07 at 9.02.34 PM.png

Okay, This was a particularly exciting module for me because I was very intimidated by coding. These games are amazing and really help simplify things. I tinkered with a few and here is a pic of a silly emoji and some Code Combat. Unfortunately, I did take a screencast of Code Combat but I couldn't upload it. Maybe I need to load it onto Youtube?

What I really like about the coding is a I feel it supports the development of a growth mindset (which is supported by the 21st Century Competencies) because no one really knows how to code. We are all starting at the beginning together. I made many errors in my cast (sadly, you can't see them!) but I think that really helps increase the comfort level or many student. I love the idea of the learning environment this could help support and foster with my students.

So, being the first time I am looking into Coding I am thinking, as the Librarian this would be a great opportunity to have classes come to the library for coding lessons. I am wondering from others, is there one program you would use to do this for grades 4-8? Scratch seems to be very popular. Would it be enough to teach lessons through these grades. I feel like it might be best to simplify by using one or two programs when starting this at our school. The only other area students might be getting this might be through Skills Canada which only a few participate. Any input/advice is welcome

Having explored and skimmed the surface of this module, I do feel like this is something I can handle! LOVE IT. 100% I can see education going this way and coding being part of our curriculum shortly.

seanmcc

This is  a picture of some scratch code that is part of another course that I took online.  While I had played around with code.org and scrach before the course was great at advancing my knowledge, and giving me a solid base to introduce it to my students.  However I think one of the most important things to keep in mind with any new learning, 21st century or not, is that you are modelling a growth mindset for your students.

debcrep

Code Monkey was fun!! I never heard of this one before and know the primary kids will love this! Great math skills!

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 1.04.15 AM.png

gmctiernan

IMG_1773.JPGIMG_1775.JPG     IMG_1778.JPG

This is my project using Scratch Jr. on the I Pad.  I watched You Tube videos to get some basic ideas, and then played around, changing characters, moving, adding speech bubbles and recording speech, making characters disappear... it was fun and easy!  I can see how it would be engaging for students.  My 10 year old daughter has made several projects with her friends after experimenting with this at home.  I think it is easy to for students to make their own account using their school board cloud account.  Has anyone done this with Scratch?

adn_naik

2016-08-09_22.35.54[1].jpgScreenshot_2016-08-09-22-46-41[1].png

I used studiocode.org for this project. The first picture has the blocks I used for coding which will help me get the picture on the left side in a particular order given in the instructions. The second picture is the picture that comes up when I click on run button. As we move on to the higher level it requires more thinking and becomes little harder, but we can always restart. It had 10 levels and it takes to the completion of the "Hour of Code". This for sure requires lots of thinking, perseverance , patience and a focused approach. Once students get hang of it this becomes a fun activity.

As I mentioned in the minds on section, my students learned this at UofT .They first coded the game Flappy Bird and then went on with other games. It was a great learning for them and first time ever doing something like this. They were so excited and engaged. This made it easy for me to introduce Scratch Jr. to them. This is also a good beginning before introducing Scratch 2.0 coding to the students.

daylaur

This is my "Talk To Me" app that I created by following the tutorial on the MIT App Inventor site. It's pretty much the most basic app ever, but it's my first time coding/building an app and I am proud of it!

I did the International "Hour of Code" with my class last year and they LOVED it, but sadly we only did it that one time :( ... Why? Basically because I (the teacher) felt uncomfortable and intimidated by coding - how sad!

There is no question that students love coding, and that it will be an essential skill in the 21st century. From my perspective the biggest barrier in integrating coding in the classroom is getting teachers comfortable with it and trying it out themselves!

Time to build my next app!

jlongthorne

Hi all,

I took an ETFO course last week and we played around with Dash and Dot. I experimented with the app called Blockly.

IMG_0994.JPGIMG_2041.jpg

I love the app Blockly and some of the other features that allow students to code as young as kindergarten. It allows students the opportunity to build on their coding skills as they go. Blockly is simple to use and allows you to connect both Dash and Dot at the same time.

I have used Code.org and Hour of Code with students too.

IMG_1510.JPG

Not really coding per se, but I was also part of a Minecraft inquiry project with my school board. Unfortunately we were unable to continue with the program as the software wasn't user friendly and we ran into glitches. I am hoping problems with loading the program will be resolved this coming year so that I can use the program with students again.

IMG_1509.JPG

Coding aligns with many 21st century competencies and learning skills/work habits: creativity, problem solving, communication, critical thinking, collaboration, and initiative.

I hope to explore more coding programs with students this coming year.

Cheers, Jess