Basketball Shot Data
- Does it make statistical sense for Steph Curry (or any player) to shoot a long two-pointer?
- What about a mid-range jumper? Does he shoot very many? Should he?
- Should Steph step back and take a three-point shot rather than a long two-pointer? How would you figure this out?
- Should players shoot any two pointers at all?
- What two-point and three-point shooting percentages would be required to justify shooting only three pointers?
- Can you create a coordinate system in your gym that would allow you to record the location of made and missed shots?
- Can you create a program that would allow a team to efficiently record the shooting data for a player during a live basketball game?
- Can you create a program that would allow a team to efficiently record the shooting data for their whole team?
- Can you use your program during a school game? A game broadcasted on TV? A live game?
- Can you create a program that displays the shooting data in a user-friendly format?
- Can you determine what data might be valuable to record for other sports? Hockey? Baseball? Volleyball?
- What types of conclusions could you draw from this data?
- Can you create a program to record or display the data for this sport?
Other fields and areas of focus
- Can you create a program to store data related to a Scissor, Paper, Rock tournament in your class?
- Can you identify patterns in the Scissor, Paper, Rock data? Can you predict a person’s next move based on this data? How reliable is your prediction?
- Can you create a program to store data related to the colour of cars in the parking lot, or the number of cars that come to a complete stop at the stop sign outside your school? Can you analyze this data in order to draw conclusions?
- Can you create a program to store data related to the types of trees in your school yard? Can you create a grid system that will allow you to identify the locations of these trees? Can you plot these locations on school yard background created in Scratch?
- Can you create testing plans that would allow you to effectively test and debug your programs?